tell

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

tell

Post by Quoc » Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:41 am

Is this sentence correct? If not, please correct it.

Please do not tell anybody his home phone number and his mobile phone number.

Thanks

Quoc
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

tell

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:06 am

I would say, "Please do not tell anybody his home phone number or [his] mobile [phone] number."

The 'phone' in 'mobile phone number' can be omitted because the reference to 'home phone number' makes it obvious that 'mobile number' also means a phone number. The second 'his' can also be omitted for similar reasons.

The sentence can be simplified even further: "Please don't tell anybody his home phone or mobile numbers."
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

tell

Post by dalehileman » Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:30 pm

It's a highly technical point, but "or" also means "and/or" so there's no ambiguity in Erik's response
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

tell

Post by Wizard of Oz » Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:08 am

dale said:

It's a highly technical point, but "or" also means "and/or" so there's no ambiguity in Erik's response
.. does it ?? .. dale I would think that if I meant and/or that is what I would write as opposed to writing either word separately for three different meanings ..

WoZ of Aus 01/01/07
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

tell

Post by dalehileman » Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:14 pm

It's just what I read somewhere. Of course we are open to further input
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

tell

Post by gdwdwrkr » Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:27 pm

The card is red.
The card is black.
The card is red or black.
The card is red and black.
The card is red and/or black.
The card is red or black or red and black.
I see no openness to ambiguity in any of the six.
Dale, would you please write the sentence that would fit your meaning in this series?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

tell

Post by dalehileman » Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:47 pm

Quoc could possibly have inferred that using "or" might imply that it was ok to tell both numbers, and I was assuring him that wasn't the case

So if you say, "Tell John or Bill" you mean, "It is ok to tell John and it is ok to tell Bill, although in a purely technical sense it is also ok to tell both"
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

tell

Post by gdwdwrkr » Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:28 pm

So "nor" would be better in Erik's first sentence?
( A diversion. I still want to see the red/black card sentence!)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

tell

Post by dalehileman » Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:40 pm

The cards are red or black
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

tell

Post by Edwin Ashworth » Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:23 am

Is it the three of clubs?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

tell

Post by Erik_Kowal » Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:56 am

'Nor' would have to be preceded by 'neither', and I can't see how the sentence could be rewritten to incorporate them. The closest you could get would be "Please do not tell anybody either his home phone number or his mobile [phone] number."
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

tell

Post by gdwdwrkr » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:05 am

Then the "either" is implied: "Please do not tell anybody [either] his home phone number or [his] mobile [phone] number."
The sentence without at least the understanding of "either" is ambiguous.

Dale's "The cards are red or black" does not make sense to me. (Except in low-light conditions, or in a darkroom.)

R.A.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

tell

Post by dalehileman » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:40 pm

gd: When I asked Laverne, who is a whole lot quicker than I, she said "The sentence is ok. It means that there are a number of cards, and some of them are red while some of them are black, though all could be red or all black"
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

tell

Post by Shelley » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:15 am

"Please reveal neither his home phone number nor his mobile phone number." I don't expect anyone would really phrase it this way, but it can be done. It almost sounds like an instruction to give out the numbers, rather than withhold them.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

tell

Post by Erik_Kowal » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:13 am

It's always instructive to be set straight. :-)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS