all these days

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

all these days

Post by Quoc » Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:32 pm

Hi,

What is correct? What is the rule?

a. All these days.

b. These all days.

c. All these 3 days.

d. These all 3 days.

e. 3 all these days.

f. 3 these all days.

Thanks
Quoc
Post actions:

all these days

Post by Bobinwales » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:58 pm

What is the context Quoc?
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

all these days

Post by hsargent » Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:37 pm

a. Correct but all these days says the same as these days and the later is simpler which is better.

b. wrong .... all day implies 24 hours so these and all conflict plus plural of days conflicts with all.

c. don't need these ... all 3 days

d. wrong ... see b

e. wrong .... there are three conflicting thoughts

f. wrong ... same as e

These days are present versus those days are past. You could say all of these days.
Post actions:
Signature: Harry Sargent

all these days

Post by dalehileman » Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:07 pm

I might add to what hs has so well and diligently provided, that "all these days" emphasizes the period as being lengthy or tedious: "So all these days you've been lying to me" whereas "these days" merely specifies the present: "These days it's getting hard to find real maple syrup"

Quoc, if there's another--just one, for now--that you think might benefit from clarification, please name it
Post actions:

all these days

Post by Quoc » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:59 am

Hi,

Thanks for your answers.

You wrote:

Quoc, if there's another--just one, for now--that you think might benefit from clarification, please name it.

I don't understand the idea of this sentence. Please explain me. Thanks.

Quoc
Post actions:

all these days

Post by dalehileman » Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:43 pm

Q: Sorry if I wasn't clear, an unfortunate attribute I hope to correct by new years' resolution, though I can't guarantee success

Of the six phrases, if there was one about which you were still puzzled and you specified which one, we would be happy to address it. "just one, for now" was just a bit of facetious persfiflage because (to me) any job seems disproportionally difficult as the number of requirements increases
Post actions:

all these days

Post by Quoc » Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:32 am

Thanks,

I wish everybody on this forum a Merry Christmas and Happy New year.

Quoc
Post actions:

all these days

Post by dalehileman » Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:48 pm

Thank you Quoc! Incidentally, you may be appalled (as I was) to learn that owing to excessive Political Correctness, in some circles these days "Holidays" replaces "Christmas" for fear of being overheard by and offending any non-Christian

Just as it has become PI to use the word "Muslim" in the same sentence with "terrorists"

Although I have yet to hear of anyone being banned for the former transgression
Post actions:

all these days

Post by gdwdwrkr » Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:39 pm

Merry Christmas, Quoc, and everyone else, too.
Post actions:

all these days

Post by Wizard of Oz » Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:54 am

.. Quoc what Dale speaks of is something that has infected the USA and is not true in general of the Christian world .. Downunder in Aus we DEFINITELY still say MERRY CHRISTMAS MATE !!

WoZ of Aus 25/12/06
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

all these days

Post by dalehileman » Mon Dec 25, 2006 6:36 pm

...and a happy New Year to all

Although I understand not everyone on the globe recognizes it as Jan 1 and therefore it may soon become PI also
Post actions:

End of topic.