pattern I admired

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

pattern I admired

Post by gdwdwrkr » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:56 pm

Of coarse you don't.
Fine.
We do.
Post actions:

pattern I admired

Post by ColourSchemer » Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:02 am

After multiple readings, I believe I understand what misunderstanding you claim is possible in the sentence:
"Many years ago I showed a silverware pattern I admired to a friend"

'silverware pattern' is the phrase often used to describe a given collection of like-designed utensils.

The misunderstanding resides in the object of admiration. Is it the design of the object collection and the object collection.

A very narrow misunderstanding, and given the subject matter, likely only to be noticed by grammatically exacting silverware collectors. Most listeners/readers would not make the distinction between the design of the object collection and the object collection itself.

Indeed, I think even visually attuned people as myself would rarely distinguish between admiring a thing and admiring a thing's decoration. And if a distinction was required, more exacting language would be used.

For example, a gentleman wears a well-cut shirt of finest linen, upon which is printed a lurid green and pink floral print. As a stitcher, I appreciate the cut (sometimes known as a pattern) of the shirt, and the material. But I do not like the imprinted floral design. I would not be inprecise by saying "I do not like the pattern of his shirt" I would specifically comment on the floral design and the bright colors. Nor would I complement the cut of his shirt by saying "I love your shirt's pattern" Unless I know him to be a tailor, he will mistake my meaning. A more accurate statement would be: "That shirt fits you well" or "That is a well-crafted shirt".

The ColourSchemer
Post actions:
Signature: The ColourSchemer

End of topic.