feeling of success

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

feeling of success

Post by elisa » Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:37 am

Hi,
one of my English students wants to translate the German expression: kleine Erfolgserlebnisse haben.
I was able to find a translation for Erfolgserlebnis:
sense of achievment or feeling of success,
but how do you put the whole expression into English? Could you say: to experience joy about small successes?
Elisa
Post actions:

feeling of success

Post by Erik_Kowal » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:14 am

Literally your phrase means "to have small experiences of success". To express it more idiomatically, I would suggest "to feel a minor sense of achievement".

Though this may imply some joy, that is not the focus of the phrase.
Post actions:
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

feeling of success

Post by elisa » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:48 am

Dear Eric,
thanks a lot. The expression "kleine Erfolgserlebnisse haben" was made about handicapped people doing music therapy. In the course of the treatment lasting a certain period of time they have time and again "small experiences of success". How would one express this plural?
Elisa
Post actions:

feeling of success

Post by Shelley » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:52 pm

Small triumphs. Small victories?
Post actions:

feeling of success

Post by Erik_Kowal » Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:12 pm

I think Shelley has it.
Post actions:
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

feeling of success

Post by elisa » Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:06 pm

Thanks a lot!
Post actions:

feeling of success

Post by Shelley » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:52 pm

Bitte schon! (. . . or something like that: I had a half year of German when I was nein!)
Post actions:

feeling of success

Post by elisa » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:46 am

Dear Shelley,
You´re (almost) right: Danke! -- Bitte! or: Bitteschön! I think you meant: Ich war neun (nine).
Post actions:

feeling of success

Post by dalehileman » Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:01 pm

Erik: Looking back on my past 76 years, "To have small experiences of success" well describes it as my successes were indeed small, the sense of achievement being indeed minor

Said with weltschmerz
Post actions:

End of topic.