pen to paper

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

pen to paper

Post by tony h » Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:40 pm

with "pen and paper" now being replaced by "computer and something" is there any equivalent phrase for the current technology
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

pen to paper

Post by MamaPapa » Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:25 pm

I often encourage students to "put fingers to keyboard" as opposed to "pen to paper" but I have no suggestion for the conjunctive "and"...
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Mama

pen to paper

Post by gdwdwrkr » Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:27 pm

I'd just say "write"
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

pen to paper

Post by russcable » Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:47 pm

"Typing" seems to be in the process of being replaced by "keyboarding". In some elementary schools, they also call "learning to use a computer" keyboarding. I suppose because the keyboard is the most difficult part to learn for kids. It sounds better than playing around but they don't actually teach them anything resembling touch typing.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

pen to paper

Post by Wizard of Oz » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:41 am

.. tony maybe pen and paper >> computer and disk or keyboard and disk ??? ..

WoZ of Aus 12/12/06
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

pen to paper

Post by tony h » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:46 am

my son suggested input device and electronic storage medium.
but also observed that none of these have the permanance of pen and paper.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

pen to paper

Post by hsargent » Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:11 pm

Write or type seems adequate. I see typing and keyboarding as equivalent and do not require paper.

It is easy to forget the technological changes we have made.

When we went from buggy to car, we did not see the need for an equivalent to harness the horse!

We are passing from film to pixel; we are changing from developing to printing or viewing.

We are really having problems with computers: key punch cards, paper tapes, magnetic tapes, floppies, 3 1/2 in. discs, CDs, DVDs, memory sticks, zip discs ...

How will our kids deal with these terms when they look back at the documents from our current era?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Harry Sargent

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC