Sense vs. meaning

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Sense vs. meaning

Post by Quoc » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:24 am

Hi,

Do meaning and sense have the same meaning?

If yes, please give me examples.

If not, how can we distinguih them?

Thanks

Quoc
Post actions:

Sense vs. meaning

Post by dalehileman » Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:09 pm

Yes and no. From Merriam Collegiate:

MEANING, SENSE...shared meaning element: the idea something conveys to the mind...."I don't know the meaning of his coduct"....SENSE denotes...a particular mening..."some words have many senses"....In more abstract use it refers to intelligibility in general "speaks things... tahat carry but half sense"--Shakespeare

But Quoc you have opened a real bucket of worms so if you wish us to elaborate you should so indicate
Post actions:

Sense vs. meaning

Post by Erik_Kowal » Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:54 pm

Again, Quoc, it seems to me you should either invest in a better print dictionary and/or make more extensive use of the resources that http://www.onelook.com gives access to.
Post actions:
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Sense vs. meaning

Post by Quoc » Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:02 am

Hi,

You wrote:

"speaks things... that carry but half sense"--Shakespeare

1/ In this context, what does carry mean?

2/ In this context, what does half sense mean?

Thanks
Quoc
Post actions:

Sense vs. meaning

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:36 am

Here, carry = convey, express

carry but half sense = express something that only partially makes sense. Here, 'but' has the meaning of 'only'.
Post actions:
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Sense vs. meaning

Post by Quoc » Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:41 am

Thanks,

Here is my last question about this topic:

carry but half sense = express something that only partially makes sense

so,

half = partially (for any cases) or carry half sense is an expression where half means partially?

Quoc
Post actions:

Sense vs. meaning

Post by gdwdwrkr » Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:02 pm

One might say, "That Quoc, he'll make you half-crazy." Try measuring crazy and dividing it in two.
Post actions:

Sense vs. meaning

Post by Quoc » Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:52 am

Hi,

Please "answer" my questions. Besides, what does half -crazy mean? Is that a slang?

Q
Post actions:

Sense vs. meaning

Post by dalehileman » Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:04 pm

If your q's have not been satisfactorily answered, perhaps you would have better luck rewording them

"Half crazy" is probably not slang because most slang is not so literal. It means a little bit crazy and I would call it an idiom

Yes, in this application "half" means "partially"

Incidentally we would say "Is that slang?" but "Is that an idiom?" for "Is that idiomatic?"
Post actions:

Sense vs. meaning

Post by Shelley » Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:55 pm

First of all, I think it's a big waste of Quoc's time to go into Shakespearean poetic idiom with him (her?). "Half-crazy" is hardly an expression that's used generally nowadays, and to split hairs over it with someone who has Quoc's level of English is an exercise in pure frustration.
Sorry to speak about you in the third person (look it up!), Quoc. I hesitate to get involved with your questions, because I have a hard time wrapping my brain around the nuances you bring up -- to say nothing of then having to describe what was intended by a word or phrase used peripherally to explain an answer to the original question! Patience is a virtue, and one in which I am sorely lacking.
Nevertheless, Quoc, I appreciate your persistance. In addition to getting a better dictionary, I think perhaps you need to get into a class, or engage a tutor -- someone who can go back and forth with you in real-time, face to face, with pencil and paper and text in front of you.
The difference between sense and meaning are insignificant if you are speaking at an elementary level. Do you get my meaning -- my sense? Do you understand the meaning of what I am saying? Do you get the sense of what I am saying? Same thing. Your first question, "Do meaning and sense have the same meaning?", could easily read, "Do meaning and sense have the same sense?", at a basic level (which I perceive yours to be). "It doesn't make any sense", is the same as saying, "it doesn't mean anything".
However, on other levels, "sense" and "meaning" are entirely different:
People work hard to make sense of things, which does not necessarily give their lives meaning.
The "five senses" are touch, sight, taste, hearing, and smell, but the meaning of "I see dead people" is found in The Sixth Sense.
Quoc, your attention to detail and your thorough investigation into the topics you introduce here tell me that you must be a very good engineer. Good luck and may you get wherever you want to go in life! You may think I'm being patronizing, but I really mean it, in every sense of the word. Your English is fabulous compared to my Vietnamese!
Ok. I'm done -- thank you all for listening. By the way, measuring a quality like crazy and dividing by two is a great way to say -- um, whatever we were talking about.
Post actions:

Sense vs. meaning

Post by dalehileman » Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:49 pm

Shelly, I admire also your diligence, but "Half crazy" is a very common idiom used just a whole lot (200,000 Ghits)

And you hardly lack patience
Post actions:

End of topic.