staunch / stanch

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

staunch / stanch

Post by Shelley » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:50 pm

In the New York Daily News today, reprinted (?) from News Wire Services:
JERUSALEM -- UN aid groups are asking for a record $450 million to staunch a deepening Palestinian humanitarian crisis . . .
I think there is a mistake here. I think the word is supposed to be stanch -- to stop the flow of something (blood). Staunch is an adjective (?) describing loyal, strong support. Am I wrong? -- I could be misreading it.
Post actions:

staunch / stanch

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:05 pm

Regarding the stopping of a flow of something, both 'stanch' and 'staunch' are interchangeable variants of the same word.

(Source: Chambers 20th C. Dictionary)
Post actions:
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

staunch / stanch

Post by Shelley » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:20 pm

Thanks, Erik Kowal. When I got home, I checked my computer's dictionary (Oxford American), and it confirms the same. The computer's dictionary at work (Encarta) is not as comprehensive: it listed only one definition for each word, and did not indicate they were interchangeable.
Post actions:

End of topic.