preposition

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

preposition

Post by Quoc » Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:05 pm

Which sentence is correct?

1. By the way, I dare say VietNam has done an excellent job in organizing such a major event.

2. By the way, I dare say VietNam has done an excellent job on organizing such a major event.

If both are correct, are they the same meaning? If not, what is the difference in meaning between them?

Quoc
Post actions:

preposition

Post by gdwdwrkr » Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:19 pm

Post actions:

preposition

Post by Quoc » Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:18 pm

Thanks

I know now the correct preposition is of.

Quoc
Post actions:

preposition

Post by hsargent » Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:57 pm

We Americans have never used two capitals in spelling Vietnam.

Is it common to have two capitals in one word?

Our only examples, I believe, are in Irish and Scottish names

McClure, MacLean, etc.
Post actions:
Signature: Harry Sargent

preposition

Post by gdwdwrkr » Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:03 pm

VietNam had two capitols: Hanoi and Saigon?
Post actions:

preposition

Post by Erik_Kowal » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:02 pm

Harry, many brand and product names, especially those related to IT, contain two or more capital letters. Examples are WordPerfect, PayPal and ZDNet. I suspect this convention came about partly because spaces were not allowed in MS-DOS filenames (at least not until DOS 5.0 or higher, if I recall correctly).

Capital = the seat of government of a country or state

Capitol = 1 a : a building in which a state legislative body meets b : a group of buildings in which the functions of state government are carried out
2 capitalized : the building in which the United States Congress meets at Washington

(Definitions of 'capitol' from m-w.com)
Post actions:
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

preposition

Post by gdwdwrkr » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:02 pm

Point well taken! Capitals. Ya gotta column like ya see 'em.
Post actions:

preposition

Post by kagriffy » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:07 pm

Erik, you've hit on (yet another) one of my pet peeves: the misuse of "capital" and "capitol." Living in the Capital City of Illinois, you would think Springfieldians would know the difference. Unfortunately, there are misspellings all over the place. One of the most distressing (at least to me) was an "official" tourist sign which pointed the way to the "Old State Capital"! I always contended that it wasn't exactly a misspelling, but that the arrow pointed the wrong way: instead of pointing toward the building that formerly housed the government offices, it should have pointed toward Vandalia, the city that served as Illinois' capital in the early 1800s!
Post actions:
Signature:
K. Allen Griffy
Springfield, Illinois (USA)

preposition

Post by gdwdwrkr » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:25 pm

Ouch...capitol punnishmeant
Post actions:

End of topic.