singular or plural

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

singular or plural

Post by Quoc » Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:03 pm

Which sentence is correct? Why?

1. But we are well aware that bilateral relations between the 2 countries has thrived dramatically over the past 30 years.

2. But we are well aware that bilateral relations between the 2 countries have thrived dramatically over the past 30 years.

Quoc
Post actions:

singular or plural

Post by gdwdwrkr » Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:20 pm

2. Relations is plural.
Post actions:

singular or plural

Post by dalehileman » Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:48 pm

Quoc: However, there is a convention, or style if you like, that permits its use as singular. No doubt one of the other guys can elaborate

Poor fellow, I am amazed by your persistence and diligence in learning one of the world's most difficult languages
Post actions:

singular or plural

Post by gdwdwrkr » Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:08 pm

I agree. If you can manage to think of bilateral relations as a singularity, and are consistent in referring to it as such, the singular can be correct.

English is the easiest (if the only) language I have learned. I guess that makes it the most difficult, too!
Post actions:

singular or plural

Post by hsargent » Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:57 pm

I don't think you will find an English teacher that wouldn't use the plural which requires have.

I've never heard of a convention which allows using a plural as a singular.
Post actions:
Signature: Harry Sargent

singular or plural

Post by russcable » Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:05 pm

An example from m-w.com:
Main Entry: math·e·mat·ics
Pronunciation: "math-'ma-tiks, "ma-th&-
Function: noun plural but usually singular in construction
Post actions:

End of topic.