doubt

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

doubt

Post by Quoc » Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:28 pm

Here is the definition of the word demutualize:

To convert (a mutual life - insurance company) to a stockholder-owned corporation.

So, if I convert any other kinds of companies (not a mutual life - insurance company) to stockholder-owned corporations ,can I also say demutualization? If not, instead of saying demutualization, what word will I say?

Q
Post actions:

doubt

Post by gdwdwrkr » Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:48 pm

no
deprivatization=going public
Post actions:

doubt

Post by Quoc » Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:53 pm

Hi,

Do you mean I have to use deprivatization=going public in this case?

Quoc
Post actions:

doubt

Post by gdwdwrkr » Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:56 pm

No. Use one(deprivatization) or the other(going public).
Post actions:

doubt

Post by russcable » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:09 pm

A privately owned company can "go public" or deprivatize (become a publically owned company) but since it is not a mutually owned company, it cannot demutualize because there is no mutualization to "undo".
Post actions:

doubt

Post by Quoc » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:02 am

Hi,

You wrote:

A privately owned company can "go public" or deprivatize (become a publically owned company) but since it is not a mutually owned company, it cannot demutualize because there is no mutualization to "undo".

since = because?

Quoc
Post actions:

doubt

Post by Erik_Kowal » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:45 am

Yes -- in this context, since = because / as a consequence of [the fact that...]. Not to be confused with 'since' with the meaning 'during [or after] the time that has passed following [some event]'.
Post actions:
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

End of topic.