printed-page patterns

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

printed-page patterns

Post by gdwdwrkr » Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:39 pm

Have you noticed lines, arcs, circles, even faces in the spaces on a printed page? I have been quite stricken with these subliminal shapes. Is there a name for them in printing "circles"?
Post actions:

printed-page patterns

Post by dalehileman » Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:46 pm

No but I have noticed A similar phenom in which the text itself assumes a familiar shape and one in which passages appear to be highlighted, oft in yellow or blue
Post actions:

printed-page patterns

Post by Phil White » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:32 pm

Originally posted by gdwdwrkrHave you noticed lines, arcs, circles, even faces in the spaces on a printed page? I have been quite stricken with these subliminal shapes.
The last time someone pointed this out to me, the observation was prefixed with "Hey man" and ended with "Cool!". I seem to remember seeing them as well. Those were the days.
Post actions:
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

printed-page patterns

Post by gdwdwrkr » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:41 pm

They still are.
Post actions:

printed-page patterns

Post by paulwiggins » Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:02 am

You won't find it in the printers' glossaries but many designers call them rivers. Old hands in the industry are ever alert for them.
Post actions:

printed-page patterns

Post by gdwdwrkr » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:17 am

Thank you, Paul! I knew there had to be a word.
Anyone collect them?

just searched rivers typography and got a lot to study. Thanks again.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=ri ... gle+Search
Post actions:

printed-page patterns

Post by dalehileman » Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:39 pm

I am still wondering if anyone else has experiencd the "highlighting" I describe above. Sometimes it can be very disconcerting, esp when looking for an actual highlight
Post actions:

printed-page patterns

Post by gdwdwrkr » Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:56 pm

I do. I think it is a symptom of retina fatigue. I relate it to the colors seen when staring through a rotating fan.
Post actions:

printed-page patterns

Post by russcable » Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:06 pm

There is a group of reading problems called Irlen Syndrome or Scotopic Sensitivity Syndrome. Being distracted by rivers and having a harder time reading on white paper than on colored paper are two of the possible symptoms. One of the things that greatly improves the ease of reading among the sufferers is to wear color-tinted lenses or to lay clear colored sheets over the page. See: http://www.irlen.com/sss_main.htm
Post actions:

printed-page patterns

Post by gdwdwrkr » Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:31 pm

Thanks, russcable, I'll check it out. I do also suffer toxic ambliopia at times, which is like a sparkler right in the focal point. Not just distracting, it is debilitating, though, thank God, temporary.
Post actions:

printed-page patterns

Post by Shelley » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:21 pm

There is a phenomena I read about recently: when cirrus clouds are at the right height and density and the crystals are at a certain precise angle to the sun's rays, you can see a rainbow spectrum of color along their borders. Absolutely fantastic. I saw this "rainbow in the clouds" several times one year while living in Denver, but nobody believed me and nobody else saw it. It was very frustrating. Needless to say, I was pretty relieved to see this article recently which validated that which I KNEW I'd really seen.
Here's a picture (WARNING -- you get a lot of pop-ups with this):
http://www.snopes.com/photos/natural/firerainbow.asp
Post actions:

printed-page patterns

Post by Erik_Kowal » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:29 pm

I have seen this too (in the UK), so I am less inclined than everybody else to think you are crazy. ;-)
Post actions:
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

printed-page patterns

Post by gdwdwrkr » Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:42 am

Often seen here in Pennsylvania during the coldest
of winter days, this sight is electrifying.
Shelley, I think the Snopes-link phenomenon and
what you describe may be two different things.
Though Snopes calls it a circumhorizon(tal) arc,
I'm not sure that they don't mean a circumzenithal
arc , or a parhelic arc.
The phenomenon I first thought you were describing
(and still think) is more common, irridescence, and is the pink,
green, blue, colorful "electric" fringe around the
inner margins of very high lenticular clouds.
see http://www.sundog.clara.co.uk/droplets/irid1.htm
and
http://www.polarimage.fi/phenom/coronac.htm
Lest you feel lonely in knowing you have seen the
impossible, I have seen a complete circumsolar arc
which had tangential, much smaller circles at 12,3,6,and 9
(as on a clock) attached. I have yet to see this in any
listing of atmospheric phenomena.
Post actions:

printed-page patterns

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:28 pm

James, on the same site that you mention are images and descriptions of sundogs. What you describe sounds similar to those.

Anyone with any interest in the visible interactions of the sun with the atmosphere who has not yet visited that site has a treat in store. Besides some precise descriptions of the numerous kinds of halo, circumsolar arcs etc. that occur in nature are many remarkable photos that depict them.
Post actions:
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

printed-page patterns

Post by Shelley » Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:43 am

As my two year old used to say: "Wow. Wow. Wow."
Yeah, gdwd, what I saw was more like the sundog images in your link. Are they really two different things? Do you think the Snopes picture is manufactured? The site is devoted to dispelling myth: the firerainbow's status is "true", but now I'm not so sure. Or, could it be a very extreme and perfect example of the electric fringe effect? Thing is, there's that yellow . . .
Erik, you mean there's a chance I might NOT be crazy?
Post actions: