This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Post by Quoc » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:37 am

Hi,

What is correct?

1. Log in to
2. Log into

If both are correct, what is the difference in meaning between them? Please give me examples.

Q
Post actions:

Post by russcable » Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:06 pm

Like your other topic of register, "to log" is originally to record an entry into a book.
You can log the day's events into your diary or journal.
The computer usage is rather more confused in terminology but it is still related to signing into your account. You will see three variations as "log in" and "login" are both used by various systems, so you may log into the computer, log in on or at the computer, or login to the computer. When you sit down, the computer may ask you to "log in" by entering your login and password.
Post actions:

Post by Quoc » Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:58 am

Is (2) correct and (1) incorrect?
Q
Post actions:

Post by Erik_Kowal » Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:53 am

The verb is the phrasal verb 'to log in' followed by the dependent phrase 'to something', or 'to log on to' or 'to log in at', followed by the dependent phrase 'something'. Therefore, of your examples, 1) is correct, although the variants that Russ mentions are very common.

'Login' is a noun: "Have you set up your login yet?" 'To login' is incorrect, in my view, although there are so many possible combinations of verbs and prepositions that it will be increasingly difficult to insist that any particular one should not be used. The prepositional combinations 'in to' and 'on to' are frequently confused with 'into' and 'onto', even by native speakers of English.
Post actions:
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by Quoc » Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:48 am

Hi,

I have difficulty logging into the forum. (1)
I have difficulty logging in to the forum. (2)

Are both correct and do they have the same meaning? If not, what is the difference in meaning between them?
Q
Post actions:

Post by Erik_Kowal » Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:08 am

Only 1) is correct.
Post actions:
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by Quoc » Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:47 am

Thanks

Q
Post actions:

End of topic.