Oceans of meaning.

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Oceans of meaning.

Post by Erik_Kowal » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:15 am

WoZ: That depends. In the USA, it is more usual to refer to the Native American Ocean.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Oceans of meaning.

Post by gdwdwrkr » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:31 am

without looking, what ocean is south of New York City?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Oceans of meaning.

Post by gdwdwrkr » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:00 am

This is taking too long. You are looking.
(Flood-control. Appropriate.)

Give up?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Oceans of meaning.

Post by haro » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:41 pm

gdwdwrkr, we are trying hard. Please be patient.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Hans Joerg Rothenberger
Switzerland

Oceans of meaning.

Post by Erik_Kowal » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:50 pm

I should have an answer for you within the next 2-3 weeks.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Oceans of meaning.

Post by Ken Greenwald » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:01 am

And while we’re being PC let’s be careful with our SEAS – not the vitamin, dopey, the bodies of water! Of course, there is that arm of the Arctic, the White Sea. But let us be mindful of the sensitivities of the other seas and not forget to refer to the Black Sea, Red Sea and Yellow Sea as our SEAS OF COLOR I, II, and III. (<:)

Ken G – July 18, 2006
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Oceans of meaning.

Post by Erik_Kowal » Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:49 am

Not to overlook the confusingly-named Green Landsea (a.k.a. the Sea of Color IV).
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Oceans of meaning.

Post by gdwdwrkr » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:22 am

Since you brought up PC, what's with the soccer game?

[Erik you have 'til 8/8, then I'll reveal the answer.]
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Oceans of meaning.

Post by Wizard of Oz » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:46 pm

.. an East Coast USA tsunami gdwdwrkr ?? .. or just an exceptionally high tide in Long Island Sound ?? .. I give up ..

WoZ of Aus 19/07/06
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Oceans of meaning.

Post by tony h » Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:30 pm

Last time I drove from New York to the south coast it was the English Channel that wetted my feet.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Oceans of meaning.

Post by gdwdwrkr » Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:29 pm

Deep calls to deep, but until Erik takes the plunge, its 8/8. Or until i see the answer I am looking for. (I hesitate to say the right answer....)
(So there's a New York in England? Is it New York City?)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Oceans of meaning.

Post by gdwdwrkr » Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:38 pm

tony h wrote: Last time I drove from New York to the south coast it was the English Channel that wetted my feet.
DUI?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Oceans of meaning.

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:04 am

= 'Driving under the influence'.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Oceans of meaning.

Post by spiritus » Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:18 am

= 'Diving under the influence'. The Southern Ocean.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Che Baraka

Oceans of meaning.

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:30 am

Damn it, Che. You are just too smart for the rest of ass. ;-)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS