eligible

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

eligible

Post by aelnamer » Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:56 pm

I am wondering about the usage of the adjective, Eligible, in some of the latest news articles on the Moussaoui case. I am struggling with the following sentence” Jury Finds Moussaoui Eligible for Death Penalty.” It is not like he has applied for the death penalty and was successful. I understand that the persecution applies for the sentence that they want, but how would he become eligible if he himself does not apply to determine eligibility? Maybe it is just in the way this sentence is written, that is difficult for me to understand why the adjective, eligible, is being used. Maybe in this context the usage is okay, but I still find it a bit confusing.

Ahmed
4th of April,2006
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Ahmed EL Namer
Dawson Creek,BC

eligible

Post by Erik_Kowal » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:03 pm

It means that he is not considered to be disqualified from the possibility of receving the death sentence by virtue of insanity or the failure of the prosecution (not 'persecution') to demonstrate his culpability in contributing to the deaths of the victims of 9/11. He is also described as merely being 'eligible' because at the time of writing, there are still some additional procedural hurdles that must be surmounted for a judge to be able to actually pronounce the death sentence.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

eligible

Post by tony h » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:33 pm

It is the same usage as :
- on his 6oth birthday he became eligable for an elderly person's bus pass,
- the chief fundraisers will be eligable to receive 3 free tickets to the dinner.

In these cases it is that you are in circumstances where you can receive these but won't necessarily use them.

regards
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC