Words which are what they are not!

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Post by hsargent » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:41 pm

I've run across a few and you guys may think of some more.

Example: Unleaded gasoline is named for something which is not present.

Dial a phone is still used but we are using Push Button phones.

Chicken Fried Steak
is not chicken.

Pair of pants is only a single.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Harry Sargent

Post by krystal » Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:47 am

how about "world series" when the game is only played in the USA
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: krystal

Post by hsargent » Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:39 pm

The game is pretty strong in Japan and Cuba. Not including them probably does hurt the claim as "World".

"Left handed comment" might be another example since a comment doesn't have appendages.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Harry Sargent

Post by russcable » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:25 pm

Chicken Fried Steak is not chicken
Pan fried potato is not pan.
Oven roasted potato is not oven.
Girl Scout cookie is not girl.
Chicken a la king is not king.

What? Am I not playing the game right? ;-)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by russcable » Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:22 pm

hsargent wrote: Unleaded gasoline is named for something which is not present.
I give up. Is it the unlead (similar to unobtainium?) or the gasoline that's not present unleaded gasoline?

Peeled fruit doesn't have a peel, but unpeeled fruit can be either way.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Nicolas Le Thierry » Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:06 am

Utter piffle!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by spiritus » Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:07 am

Utter agreement!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Che Baraka

Post by sionnachrua » Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:39 pm

buffalo wings
better yet:
vegetarian buffalo wings
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by krystal » Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:40 pm

hsargent wrote: The game is pretty strong in Japan and Cuba. Not including them probably does hurt the claim as "World".

"Left handed comment" might be another example since a comment doesn't have appendages.
Well then!!!
how about prehistoric how can it be pre history if its history?
I am sure you have a good answer to that one and make me look silly but i can take bring it on!!! LOL!!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by krystal » Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:04 pm

hsargent wrote: The game is pretty strong in Japan and Cuba. Not including them probably does hurt the claim as "World".

The game may be played in other countries but the "world series is a domestic competition of the USA of major league baseball. Major league baseball has two leagues "the American league and the national league" each league has it's own pennant winner the two winning teams have a playoff called the "world series". Has nothing to do with cuba or japan. Dosn't seem very world like to me!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by haro » Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:11 am

Krystal, in the context of history vs. prehistory, history is what was written down by contemporary people. So, simplistically put, history began with the advent / invention of writing. Prehistory is what happened before those times. So not everything that belongs to the past is history.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Hans Joerg Rothenberger
Switzerland

Post by popatnic » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:36 pm

The World Series, which also come to Canada through the Toronto Blue Jays (and used to include the Montreal Expos) were named after their first sponsor The World newspaper of New york City.

Granted it is an interesting play on words and the unaware is bound to think it means that the series are for the world. Worse, in French Canadian sports parlance, including newspapers, they are known as "Les Séries mondiales", thus falling for the common error.

As for misnomers, how about the Viet-Nam War era, Pentagon coined, expression of "Counter de-escalation", which only meant they had quit winding operations down and were going back at it.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Ken Greenwald » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:06 pm

What about INTELLIGENT DESIGN. If there is no designer, it is not design. And if there is a designer, it is not intelligent – with those dinosaur screwups and all, and the state of the world today, I could have hired a second-rate contractor to do a better job. (&lt)

Ken G - February 20, 2006
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by minjeff » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:43 am

Ken, I would argue that design could be intelligent by chance with no bearing on the designer or that the designer is intelligent and hence we choose to call what he/she/it designs intelligent as well.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Letters go together to make words; words go together to make phrases, and phrases sentences, but only in certain combinations. In others they're just non-sense.

Post by Ken Greenwald » Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:14 am

Jeff, It seems to me that INTELLIGENT BY CHANCE is an oxymoron. A design could be beautiful, wonderful, amazing, etc. by chance, but I don’t think it could be clever, ingenious or intelligent because these imply the application of thought - check any dictionary for the definition of INTELLEIGENT.

Ken G – February 20, 2006
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS