using your loaf

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

using your loaf

Post by dalehileman » Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:42 pm

Recently discussed in PF, I had never heard it and am curious as to whether the expression can be considered current or widespread in the leftpond. It yields around a thousand hits as is, but one-third that many -uk -au -nz -nu -aussie -brit -british -cockney
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

using your loaf

Post by Bobinwales » Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:20 pm

"Use your loaf", as in "Be sensible", or "Think about what you are doing", is extremly common over here. I remember my father using it when I was a boy, fifty odd years ago, and I still hear, and say it, often!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

using your loaf

Post by Ken Greenwald » Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:37 pm

Dale, If you had used your loaf, you would have used the search function and found that this topic had been previously discussed under use your loaf, which yields ~ 16,000 Google hits. You can sift through these and see what you find, but my gut feeling is that this expression isn't used much in the U.S.

Ken G - January 4, 2005
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

using your loaf

Post by dalehileman » Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:58 pm

Ken: So I would, and so it was. Searching it in the imperative form -uk -au -nz -nu -aussie -brit -british -cockney yields only 1250 hits, further tending to confirm your feeling
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

using your loaf

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:37 am

After George H W Bush failed to be re-elected as President, he could not help recalling the words his father Prescott would always mutter at him through his gritted teeth: "Lose your oaf!"

And that's how Dubya eventually got to be President instead.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

using your loaf

Post by dalehileman » Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:38 pm

I think anybody who doesn't think I'm smart enough to handle the job is underestimating--GWB
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

using your loaf

Post by Wizard of Oz » Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:43 am

.. yep Dale it is an expression that my dear old father did use .. can't say that I hear it very often nowadays .. I rarely use it but recognise its meaning .. it seems to have been overtaken by use your head with similar meaning .. incidently what IS this leftpond/rightpond thing you have suddenly begun to use ???

WoZ of Aus 06/01/06
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

using your loaf

Post by Shelley » Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:17 am

From Wizard of Oz:
.. it seems to have been overtaken by use your head with similar meaning ..
and "that's using your noggin'!"
and "that's using your noodle!"
I like "using your loaf" -- I've never heard it before.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

using your loaf

Post by Colin Harry Jackson » Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:47 pm

I think you may find that it is rhyming slang for Head,
Loaf of Bread - Head, so use your head, becomes use your loaf
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

using your loaf

Post by dalehileman » Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:33 pm

Woz: I used to use "offshore" and "onshore" until I was taken to task
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

using your loaf

Post by Phil White » Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:42 pm

Dale, is WoZ leftpond or rightpond for you? I suspect that however you answer, he may hit you with his North paw.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

using your loaf

Post by dalehileman » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:00 pm

Phil: Granted, with off and onshore there could be some confusion depending on your situation respecting the Atlantic. Also granted that an Australian participant might experience some confusion between left and rightpond. Between just you and me, though, the latter terms should work out perfectly ok. We can keep it our own little hugger-mugger
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

using your loaf

Post by Colin Harry Jackson » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:10 pm

Any particular reason why you have ignored my post, or am I just being Psychotic
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

using your loaf

Post by Phil White » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:35 pm

Colin,

Read Ken's response and follow the link in it. Yes, "loaf of bread" is rhyming slang, and it was discussed there.

Regard yourself as having been peered quizzically over spectacles at...

You'll get used to us here.

*grin*
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

using your loaf

Post by Colin Harry Jackson » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:04 pm

oops : Sorry fellas, I thought I was being superior and finished up with egg on my Boat !
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS