legal limit

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

legal limit

Post by please » Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:14 pm

I'm afraid, not, Mike. A legal limit between rest periods doesn't sound right. The trouble is "the rest period", although essential to the wording of the law, does not agree with the concept of "legal limit" (or "limit" for that matter). One can easily be in breach of the "rest period" rule, but the language does not allow for one to go beyond a certain "limit" in doing so.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

legal limit

Post by dalehileman » Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:06 pm

Mike: Besides, your version can easily be read to mean most drivers who do observe rest periods nonetheless exceed the permissible BAC while they're driving. In other words, though they may be essentially sober at the start and end of each trip, evidently they must take a nip or two at the end of each rest period except the last
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

legal limit

Post by Edwin Ashworth » Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:17 pm

It's easier just to pay the fine, Please - lawyers can out-semanticise politicians.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

legal limit

Post by Edwin Ashworth » Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:19 pm

It's easier just to pay the fine, Please - lawyers can out-semanticise politicians.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

legal limit

Post by Edwin Ashworth » Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:20 pm

I think I'll just go for a nap. I vill say zees only once.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

legal limit

Post by dalehileman » Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:10 pm

Ed you're forgiven. I did it repeatedly until I finally realized why my followup kept disappearing (to page 2)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

legal limit

Post by Edwin Ashworth » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:57 pm

Can you tell when you're about to go over the legal limit, Dale?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

legal limit

Post by dalehileman » Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:19 pm

The implication being that my failure to realize that it had simply shifted to page 2 indicates inebriation
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

legal limit

Post by Edwin Ashworth » Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:58 pm

That makes three of us then.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

legal limit

Post by Erik_Kowal » Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:04 pm

To avoid embarrassment, I suggest that all three of you avoid fourplay for the time being.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

legal limit

Post by Edwin Ashworth » Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:27 pm

If only Ronny Barker were still around.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

legal limit

Post by dalehileman » Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:56 pm

I wish you hadn't put me onto that, as I'm almost 75 while he was just 76

Ronny Barker RIPComecy legend Ronny Barker died yesterday, age 76, due to heart failure, ... Who the hell is Ronny Barker? laughing out loud I was thinking the same thing. ...
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/arch ... r-i-p.html
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

legal limit

Post by river » Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:25 pm

They have exceeded their drive-time limit.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: river

legal limit

Post by please » Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:16 pm

Shame on them. How did they do it? Answers referring to rest period and using "legal limit" please (only to refresh the original question for recent commentators, and certainly not to bore everyone stiff).
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

legal limit

Post by russcable » Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:43 pm

The awkwardness is that legal limit is normally used to refer to a maximum requirement that is broken when it is exceeded, but in this case, rest periods are a minimum requirement that is not being met ("under exceeded" ^_^). As river says, the drive-time per shift is over/exceeds the legal limit, but there's no legal limit on the rest periods, legally they can rest 24/7. It's a square-peg/round-hole problem.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS