no entry

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

no entry

Post by Edwin Ashworth » Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:04 pm

Unless she's a crofter, you've stumped me there, Erik. I've heard of Coral Kay.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

no entry

Post by please » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:47 pm

I think it is about time to make this diversion from the original question official :
No contributor should refrain from sending in no-point comments. There is no no-go areas in exploring all grounds, including those with no relevance to the topic . No joy in debating with no smile in reserve... No offense.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

no entry

Post by Bobinwales » Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:50 am

No sh*t?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

no entry

Post by Edwin Ashworth » Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:40 pm

Nanette is of course allowed.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

no entry

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:39 am

We are living in permissive times. In the 1920s, Nanette was a no-no.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

no entry

Post by kagriffy » Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:04 pm

But, Erik, a double negative (no, no Nanette) makes a positive!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature:
K. Allen Griffy
Springfield, Illinois (USA)

no entry

Post by Erik_Kowal » Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:59 am

I positively have to oui-oui.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

no entry

Post by JANE DOErell » Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:58 pm

Like please I have mused over these ubiquitous "no [whatever]" signs posted around the Western US and wondered about the origin and how widespread and...(Then my mind wanders to something else). The first I remember were decades ago, very widespread, was "No Trespassing", meaning 'do not enter'. I was a precocious little brat and wondered about the grammar or syntax or something even back then.

We once saw many similar signs that read "No Shirt, No Shoes, No Service." One time in Canada I saw a much less rude version "If you expect service a modicum of clothing would be appreciated."
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

no entry

Post by russcable » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:08 pm

JANE DOErell wrote: "No Trespassing", meaning 'do not enter'. I was a precocious little brat and wondered about the grammar or syntax or something even back then.
You're lucky. We had signs on fence posts that just said "Posted" - Well, obviously! It's a fence on a post with a sign posted on it - how much more posted could it be - now why is that farmer shooting at me! ^_^
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC