Symbols and Brand Names

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Symbols and Brand Names

Post by Kortnie » Sun Jul 31, 2005 3:38 pm

If I were to say crown in place of king.. that would be a symbol but I know theres another word for that. Another would be using a brand name in place of the real name. I know thats its called gentrification but what would the actual word be? Brand Name?
Sorry if Im confusing everone (including myself). Thanks for your help, Kortnie :)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Symbols and Brand Names

Post by Ken Greenwald » Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:11 pm

Kortnie, Using ‘crown’ for ‘king’ is called METONYMY and ‘crown’ is the METONYM. There is an extensive discussion of this in the posting a substitute for the intended subject (synecdoche & metonymy). As far as the other part of your question ‘brand name,’ ‘trade name,’ and ‘trademark’ are the words I’m familiar with.

Ken G – July 31, 2005
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Symbols and Brand Names

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:02 pm

To which I would add that you are probably not thinking of 'gentrification' (which the online Merriam-Webster at m-w.com defines as 'the process of renewal and rebuilding accompanying the influx of middle-class or affluent people into deteriorating areas that often displaces earlier usually poorer residents'), but 'genericization'. This is derived from the adjective 'generic' and describes terms like 'cola' which are not protected by trademark.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Symbols and Brand Names

Post by Phil White » Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:53 am

Kortnie,
There's another discussion here, where Ken may want to correct his typo "gentrification"!!

There's yet another discussion here.

Erik is correct. Either "genericization" or "generification" are correct.

Along with Ken's suggestions "brand name", "trade name" and "trade mark", alternatives for the "word itself" could also be "protected name" or "registered name".
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC