Do we 'make' or 'take' a decision?

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Post by gdwdwrkr » Wed May 16, 2007 12:45 am

That makes two of us.
And welcome, bkwz.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by tony h » Thu May 17, 2007 9:45 am

A slight sense of deja vu with this response but I use both and with fairly specific different contexts.

I use "make" when there is time to assemble all the fact, mull them over and then come to a satisfactory conclusion.

I use "take" where the decision is made without full a full process.

The result is that there is more risk with a decision that was "taken" as compared with a decision that is "made" (edited).
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by Baloo2 » Thu May 17, 2007 10:11 am

Ahhh! Thanks Tony! I think that was about exactly the idea I tried to explain in my broken Swenglish. :)

Can it be this is a generation matter in the UK? I mean, are you perhaps older than the average poster here, do you think? I'm 59 myself -- should it matter any -- I studied English (the UK version) at school some 40-45 years ago and has lived and worked a lot in the UK many years ago.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Shelley » Thu May 17, 2007 11:01 am

tony h's post reminds me that, although I never "take a decision", I sometimes "take my choice" as in "You pays your money and you takes your choice". I always "take my pick".
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by tony h » Thu May 17, 2007 1:28 pm

Thanks Bob.
are you perhaps older than the average poster here
How am I supposed to answer that? Where does 48 fit in the profile?

Shelley:
although I never "take a decision"
I should envy you!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by tony h » Thu May 17, 2007 1:34 pm

my deja vu explained: a slightly different discussion but with some points in common see the discussion : "Take a meeting" - can you do a link to another thread?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Bobinwales » Thu May 17, 2007 2:47 pm

I am 60 and I have only ever made a decision.

Is this the link you wanted Tony?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Meirav Micklem » Thu May 17, 2007 10:25 pm

I have to admit to our Swenglish-speaking friend here that I am not strictly a native English-speaker either. And I'm glad you did get my sense of humour - not everyone does. Some people claim it doesn't actually exist. :-)

But judging from the postings here, I think it may take a committee a very long time indeed to reach (see, this way I neatly avoid choosing between make/take) a decision about the correct usage of "make/take a decision".
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Edwin Ashworth » Fri May 18, 2007 10:08 pm

Interestingly, the ratio of Google Hits for "made a etc decision" : "took a etc decision" is far higher than that of "make a etc decision" : "take a etc decision".
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by gdwdwrkr » Fri May 18, 2007 10:19 pm

Your search - "made a etc decision" - did not match any documents. -google
?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Edwin Ashworth » Fri May 18, 2007 10:27 pm

Sorry, gdwdwrkr (have you a more familiar name?) - I keyed in made a decision & the other 3 expressions, and of course got relevant hits like (guessing) They made the decision to... and doubtless irrelevant ones such as (guessing) The choice was made - a decision to...
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by gdwdwrkr » Sat May 19, 2007 12:27 am

Name's James.
Jim'll do.
I'm thick-skulled, Edwin...I still don't understand.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Edwin Ashworth » Mon May 21, 2007 12:02 am

Jim -

made a decision gives c 180 000 000 Ghits (though Google implies the indefinite article is not very significant)
took a decision
gives c 54 500 000 Ghits only - the ratio is thus c 3.3 : 1

make a decision gives c 244 000 000 Ghits
take a decision gives c 180 000 000 Ghits - the ratio here is only c 1.3 : 1

I'm implying that this seems to indicate that the choice of verb is neither consistent nor overtly logical; perhaps the hard a sound sounds more decisive.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by gdwdwrkr » Mon May 21, 2007 2:39 am

Thanks, Edwin. Finally, I get it.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Edwin Ashworth » Mon May 21, 2007 8:56 am

There are also 531 Ghits implying that I can half-bake a decision. But only 4 that I can half-cook one. Food for thought.
Making a train and taking a train are certainly different in meaning, as Mssrs George Stephenson and Butch Cassidy would perhaps testify - one was taking trouble...
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS