Do we 'make' or 'take' a decision?

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Post by Baloo2 » Mon May 14, 2007 10:51 am

Really old thread, sorry for that, but wouldn't it be nice first to make the decision and then, if it's good, take it?

Pretty much like first you make the drink and then you take it? :)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Meirav Micklem » Mon May 14, 2007 7:13 pm

Where would you take it to?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Baloo2 » Mon May 14, 2007 7:27 pm

Meirav Micklem wrote: Where would you take it to?
To the same place you take a drink, bath or break?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Meirav Micklem » Mon May 14, 2007 9:10 pm

Okay, I was sort of joking but let's take your examples one by one. A drink you might make and then take - that makes sense to me. A bath you just take - making a bath would only make sense in the context of the actual building work. A break, again, one just takes.

But your suggestion was that we first make a decision and then take it, and as this didn't make any kind of sense to me I responded with a facetious remark. The thing is that there is no actual difference between making a decision and taking a decision, so it doesn't make sense to say you do one and then the other. You make/take/reach a decision - or you could simply say that you decide - and then you act on your decision, unless you change your mind or simply have an attack of akrasia.*

*Don't you just love this word... Learned it when studying philosophy. We all loved it as it was such a very good word to use when explaining why we hadn't written our essays.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Baloo2 » Mon May 14, 2007 9:41 pm

First of all, of course I understood that your remark was not really seriously meant. Maybe I should have added a smiley? :)

But as for the decision, maybe we are thinking of different kinds of decision making? If it's just a "shall I go left or right around that lamp post?" it's such an easy decision to make and take that you do it all in one step.

But for a more complex decision, you may have a committy that sits for hours trying to make the proper decision, and then, when they are finished discussing, the take it.

Does that make sense to you?

Let me just finish by stating that in Germanic languages, such as Swedish, you always and only "grab" a decision (ein Beschluss fassen), so we don't really have your "problem"...
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by gdwdwrkr » Mon May 14, 2007 11:32 pm

No problem around here. No one ever takes a decision. We make a decision. We decide. Done.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by trolley » Tue May 15, 2007 2:20 am

Beauty! Now we have a decision that I can take.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by mongrowl » Tue May 15, 2007 3:34 am

Does anyone know a reason for this change?

It might be connected to the newer current saying that "It is all a matter of choices".
Now that I am old enough to have made a sufficient number of mistakes that I can assess whether those "choices" I have made are one,s consequent to seeing them as 'clear' Aristotelian (left,right turns) of the processional worm, Or the intricate options derived from carefully "made" determinations of factors that constitute a clear pathway. Either way, it is still my fault.
Lneil
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All we can do is the Best we can do.

Post by Erik_Kowal » Tue May 15, 2007 8:45 am

But G W is the decider, apparently.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by gdwdwrkr » Tue May 15, 2007 1:30 pm

mongrowl has brought out a fine point....which may explain the shift, if there is one: professional victims certainly want to find ways to shift blame away from their own responsibility.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by hsargent » Tue May 15, 2007 1:37 pm

Make and take are not synonyms!

Make a drink would be to formulate. Take a drink would be to comsume.

Take a decision would be to receive if it were ever used.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Harry Sargent

Post by Baloo2 » Tue May 15, 2007 2:29 pm

Well, it seems like the US English influence has the upper edge on the UK English language by a factor 2:1 (http://tinyurl.com/35y397) if this is really the case.

So how come? Has the old Viking influence ("taking" or even "grabbing" a decision) been overturned by the English language taking a tour over the Atlantic and then returning in the much more simplified form that US English seems to represent?

Does this make sense to anybody? Remember that I'm not a native speaker, just someone that studied (UK) English at school for nine years. And I still spell it "colour" and "humour", but for how long will this be the correct spelling in English Proper? :)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Bobinwales » Tue May 15, 2007 3:06 pm

Baloo2 wrote: And I still spell it "colour" and "humour", but for how long will this be the correct spelling in English Proper?
For as long as I have breath in my body and ink in my pen!

And what is more, you will not find me taking any decisions. As far as I am concerned you make a decision, and that takes the biscuit.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by gdwdwrkr » Tue May 15, 2007 3:49 pm

and the cake.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by bookwizz » Tue May 15, 2007 11:14 pm

Hello!
I'm new here. I believe one makes a decision.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS