Chatspeak stole my internet!

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Post by gdwdwrkr » Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:59 am

Hey, when you're getting paid by the hour.......
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:53 am

Tony, with James's year of birth being 1655, his current age must be about 352. Assuming his working life did not begin till the age of 20, his career thus spans 332 years. If his productivity was the same as yours, dividing 332 by 27 and multiplying by 60,000 gives a total of 737,778 pieces of furniture that he could have french polished in that time if he had only put his mind to it.

I draw my own conclusions...
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by Tony Farg » Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:02 am

Maybe that is over egging it (now there's a phrase worth discussing) because my figures were based on pollywolly varnish, and french polishing is a multi-stage process that does take longer. Plus he must be slowing down a bit now due to his venerable status.
Still,half a million doesn't seem unreasonable.It's a wonder he's still in business!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by gdwdwrkr » Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:40 am

Remember that there are other tasks.....turning couche posts for example....
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Tony Farg » Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:27 pm

I tried google and got this:
http://forum.magicmaman.com/magic03ans/ ... 4228-1.htm

So I asked google to translate it and was enchanted with the forum I discovered.What are they rambling about?

Particularly:"Pendant ce temps, un caribou se coince la tête dans un rouleau de grillage, et ça c'est super énervant".

I'm just editing this for the other 90% by putting in the automatic translation:
During this time, a caribou wedges the head in a roller of netting, and that it is super irritating.

But anyway, I'm no nearer knowing what they are.It can't be just what Lonnie Donegan used to stick his chewing-gum on...so go on, illuminate me!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by gdwdwrkr » Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:28 pm

Well I'm no caribou, but I have got my 1" thumb caught in the 5/16" space between a tool-rest and a 3" bedpost blank which was rotating at 3000 rpm and learned the definition of super in your phrase "super irritating"! See also "cauterize".
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC