Shew vs. show

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Shew vs. show

Post by pingpong fan » Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:51 pm

To those fine folk who have responded to my previous posts. This is fun by the way.
Did you ever encounter people still using shew rather than show?
I did early on in the Civil Service in reports from older colleagues.
Is it ever still encountered? As a callow youth it had me scurrying to dusty tomes as I recall to find it described as archaic variant to our current word.Was just wondering if in some Armish-style fastness it might have endured. Ta and ta ta from Frank.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Shew vs. show

Post by Bobinwales » Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:11 am

I haven't seen it since I was a young, I mean younger man either, and as you say it was only used by older people then. Perhaps it has fallen into the great shredder.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Shew vs. show

Post by Erik_Kowal » Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:23 am

As a kid in the 1960s I recall seeing decals in our local buses stating 'TICKETS MUST BE SHEWN'. However, this was already an archaism -- I noticed the weird spelling because I had never encountered it anywhere else, and I read everything I could get my hands on.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC