Great Britain

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Great Britain

Post by Southpawl_Nimrod » Sun Jun 12, 2005 3:53 am

This topic has always confused me, as someone not from...where you're at...as to whether I should use "Great Britain", "The UK", "Britain", "England", or "The British Isles" and what exactly I was including and referring to in saying it. I'm fully ignorant about the history of the region, mainly because I'm a High School Freshman born and raised in America/The US of A/The United States, so I have always just used whatever I thought was right. And as for the term "The British" or "The English" and so forth, uh, I tend to refer to people who appear to be from somewhere in Brittain (Northern Ireland included...) as British, because I don't know better...Uh, I'm sorry if I've offended anyone?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Great Britain

Post by sandx » Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:09 am

Southpawl_Nimrod wrote: This topic has always confused me, as someone not from...where you're at...as to whether I should use "Great Britain", "The UK", "Britain", "England", or "The British Isles" and what exactly I was including and referring to in saying it. I'm fully ignorant about the history of the region, mainly because I'm a High School Freshman born and raised in America/The US of A/The United States, so I have always just used whatever I thought was right. And as for the term "The British" or "The English" and so forth, uh, I tend to refer to people who appear to be from somewhere in Brittain (Northern Ireland included...) as British, because I don't know better...Uh, I'm sorry if I've offended anyone?

Keep it like that! We`re British and you won`t offend anyone by saying so.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Great Britain

Post by Bobinwales » Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:59 pm

Kori, Sandy is perfectly correct. No one from England, Scotland, Northern Ireland or Wales will object to being called British. We are all British.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Great Britain

Post by Southpawl_Nimrod » Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:19 pm

Okay. How do you know my name? And well, I'm glad to learn that I've been saying it right. :-).
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Great Britain

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:25 pm

While Sandy and Bob are generally correct in stating that people in England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales will not object to being called British, I suspect an exception must be made for those many Northern Irish Catholics who would like Ulster (a.k.a. Northern Ireland) to become reunited with the rest of Ireland.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Great Britain

Post by Bobinwales » Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:53 am

I will freely admit that it is always safer to call an Irishman an Irishman, but Kori obviously didn't want to go into the politics. The question "Are you British?" may receive the answer, "I'm Irish", there would probably be little offence taken, but a gentle correction given. But just try asking someone from the Celtic Nations "Are you English?", and the correction may be not quite so gentle.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Bob in Wales

Great Britain

Post by Phil White » Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:38 am

Yes, I think that's clear from all we've said. "English" is a big no-no unless you are pretty sure that someone is actually from England. "British" is generally safe apart from the relatively small minority of extreme separatists in Scotland and Wales. In Northern Ireland, the linguistic situation, like the political situation, is fraught to say the least.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Great Britain

Post by aelnamer » Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:22 pm

I have had some similar experiences as an Arab (I am actually mixed-German/Libyan). If an Arab hears some one else speaking the language they will ask if you are an Arab, unless you have a keen ear in detecting the dialect of the Arabic that is spoken. For example, I am able to distinguish between an Egyptian and a Lebanese, just from the dialect. I am not always successful but close enough at times. I have also had the experience of people arguing with me, because they assumed that I had to be black when I would mention that I am from North Africa.
Ahmed
17th of June,2005
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Ahmed EL Namer
Dawson Creek,BC

Great Britain

Post by Edwin Ashworth » Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:30 pm

If Wiz's mob hang on to the Ashes, we could mount a legal challenge over here as they obviously originated in Grate Britain.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Great Britain

Post by Erik_Kowal » Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:46 am

But what a pity it would be to put such a damper on the Ashes!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Great Britain

Post by Bobinwales » Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:20 am

One test won, one test lost, one test drawn. Everyone is all fired up for the next one.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Bob in Wales

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC