Decoration

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Decoration

Post by Stevenloan » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:25 am

https://scontent-hkg4-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5EB1F560

- Hi everyone! This circle is a decoration at a homestay in Vietnam. The small islands and the bay from far away are real. What term or common word do you use to call the circle?

Thanks a lot!

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Decoration

Post by Erik_Kowal » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:49 am

Is this a unique construction, or are there lots of these in Vietnam?

I've never seen anything resembling it anywhere in the West, so I think native speakers of English would either choose to use the Vietnamese name for one of these (perhaps "ghế vòng tròn tre"?), invent a name from scratch, or else describe its appearance and function (for instance, I could describe it as "a rustic backless wooden outdoor seat enveloped by a large round bamboo frame decorated with a fringe of projecting bamboo canes all oriented similarly around its circumference").

My guess is that whoever most needed to mention one of these objects regularly in an English-speaking context would invent a name for it and try to make it stick.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Decoration

Post by Stevenloan » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:36 am

Erik : Thanks a lot for your help. I really appreciate it. I guess this thing is unique because this is the first time I have seen it in Vietnam.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC