Senior’s pigs

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Senior’s pigs

Post by Stevenloan » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:01 am

A: Former Vice President Joe Biden holds a community event in Claremont, N.H.
B: So nice to be here with all you in Clearwater, California. I'll have the senior's pigs in a blanket and a bottle of Jack please.

- Hi everyone! In a video, Joe Biden and many old people attend the event. What does “I'll have the senior's pigs in a blanket” mean in this situation?

Thanks a lot!

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Senior’s pigs

Post by BonnieL » Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:34 pm

A lot of American restaurants have a Senior Menu - smaller servings, smaller price. The pigs in a blanket are sausages wrapped in pancakes. Which sounds really good at the moment - haven't had breakfast yet. :D
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Bobinwales » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:50 pm

In the UK pigs in blankets are small sausages wrapped in bacon.
This is a link to Wikipedia which explains the term well.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by trolley » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:45 pm

I've never had them in a pancake blanket. Here they are usually wrapped in a puffed pastry or a croissant dough. Pillsbury crescent rolls work great. My mom used pancake batter mixed with a bit of cornmeal to make corn-dogs.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by BonnieL » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:50 pm

I used to make them with biscuit dough, but I was convinced I had seen them in pancakes at restaurants like IHOP. Obviously, my memory is going! :shock:
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:55 am

BonnieL, Bob and trolley : Thank you all so much for your answers. They are really helpful.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC