Take a flying f---- at a rolling donut

This formerly read-only archive of threads dates back to 1996, but as of March 2007 is open to new postings. For technical reasons, the early dates shown do not accurately reflect the actual date of posting.

Feel free to add new postings to any of the existing threads in the archived forums, but please create any new language-related threads in one of the Language Discussion Forums.

Post by Archived Topic » Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:34 pm

this was old when Vonnegut used it in 76, trying to find source
Al NY
Submitted by ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Topic imported and archived

Post by Archived Reply » Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:49 pm

Al, Afraid I can’t give you a source, but I can provide a little background info. “Flying fuck’ (all purpose negative epithet) is a very old expression dating back to about 1800. It originally appeared in a ‘broadside ballad’ called ‘New Feats of Horsemanship’ describing a sex act done on horseback [I like it! (<:)]. A broadside ballad is a song (originally in 16th and 17th century England) written on a topical subject, printed on broadsides (a sheet of paper, also called broadsheet, for distribution or posting), and sung in public, as on a street corner, by a professional balladeer.

The derisory, dismissive phrase ‘Go take a flying fuck’ dates from the 1920s. It is also extended by ‘... at a galloping goose! ... at a rubber duck! ... at the moon! ... and at a rolling donut.’ In Kurt Vonnegut’s novel ‘Slapstick,’ a doorman actually uses two of the above extensions when he tells the President of the United States, “Why don’t you take a flying fuck at a rolling donut? Why don’t you take a flying fuck at the moon?”

( Cassell’s Dictionary of Slang, Chapman’s Dictionary of American Slang)

Ken G – November 13, 2003

Reply from Ken Greenwald (Fort Collins, CO - U.S.A.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Reply imported and archived

Post by Archived Reply » Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:03 pm

Thanks, Ken. Now I know why those horse freaks are always
smiling.
Al, NY
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:17 pm

Is there a world record for this in Guiness? I wanna try out for it.
Al, the perpetual recycler from Rhode Island.
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:32 pm

TAFFAARD IS THE ACRONYM.
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:46 pm

Kurt Vonnegut also used the quote, "Go take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut. Go take a flying fuck at the moon." In Slaughterhouse-5. That was 1968. So 8 years later he used it in Slapstick (Of Another Kind) when he said: "Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughtnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC