The

This formerly read-only archive of threads dates back to 1996, but as of March 2007 is open to new postings. For technical reasons, the early dates shown do not accurately reflect the actual date of posting.

Feel free to add new postings to any of the existing threads in the archived forums, but please create any new language-related threads in one of the Language Discussion Forums.

The

Post by Archived Topic » Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:08 pm

The word that I am seeking the origin to is neither unusual or uncommon; in fact, it's the most oftused word in the English language--the word "The." Any insight you can provide about its origins would be very much appreciated.
Lee Recca, Denver, Colorado
Submitted by ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Topic imported and archived

The

Post by Archived Reply » Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:22 pm

Lee, I was going to tell you to check our suggested link to the “Compact Oxford English Dictionary,’ but to my surprise, when I tried to look it up, I found THE wasn’t there – strange. But maybe since it is a ‘compact’ dictionary, it couldn’t be bothered! (<:) If you check most dictionaries, however, they don’t have too much to say on its etymology anyway. Etymology dictionaries, such as ‘Dictionary of Word Origins’ by Ayto or the ‘Barnhart Concise Dictionary of Etymology’ do have a bit more to say:

THE, definite article, [Old English]: Old English (about 950) ‘thē’ developed from adjective use of ‘thē,’ nominative masculine form of the demonstrative pronoun and adjective and replacing earlier nominative forms of the Old English definite article ‘se’ (masculine), ‘sēo’ (feminine), and thœt (neuter – ancestor of modern English ‘that’). In the late Old English period ‘se’ was replaced by ‘the,’ probably an eroded version of ‘that’ and perhaps the same word as the Old English relative particle ‘the.’ Its drafting in to take the place of ‘se’ was no doubt promoted by the fact that all the inflected forms of the Old English definite article (‘thone,’ ‘thœm,’ ‘thœs,’ etc.) began with ‘th-.’ When the distinction between genders began to die out in the early Middle English period, ‘the’ took over as the general form.

Ken G – November 13, 2003

Reply from Ken Greenwald (Fort Collins, CO - U.S.A.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Reply imported and archived

The

Post by Archived Reply » Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:37 pm

Whoops, In the above interpret ‘&#275’ as an ‘e’ with a bar over it [in ‘the’ and ‘seo’ (feminine)]. It appears that particular symbol is not part of the Wordwizard’s character set.

Ken G – November 13, 2003

Reply from Ken Greenwald (Fort Collins, CO - U.S.A.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Reply imported and archived

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC