Hognac

This formerly read-only archive of threads dates back to 1996, but as of March 2007 is open to new postings. For technical reasons, the early dates shown do not accurately reflect the actual date of posting.

Feel free to add new postings to any of the existing threads in the archived forums, but please create any new language-related threads in one of the Language Discussion Forums.

Hognac

Post by Archived Topic » Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:27 pm

I have had no luck finding the word Hognac in any publication. It may be spelled differently, hogniac, honiac, pronounced "hOn yak" or "hOn E yak". The slang term has always meant "dim witted screw-up" to my friends and I. Has anyone any information on this word?
Greg Bowles / San Francisco,CA
Submitted by ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Topic imported and archived

Hognac

Post by Archived Reply » Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:41 pm

Is it because I used I instead of me? My friends and I always understood it to mean ............(better)

Or have I stumped the panel? :)

G.Bowles San Francisco,CA,USA
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Reply imported and archived

Hognac

Post by Archived Reply » Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:56 pm

It's not english, probably eastern european slang.
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Hognac

Post by Archived Reply » Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:10 pm

Maybe Yiddish?
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Hognac

Post by Archived Reply » Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:25 pm

If you go to the archives and use the Ctrl-F search under "hon," you will find Discussion #747 which has the information you desire.

Leif, WA, USA
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Hognac

Post by Archived Reply » Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:39 pm

Thank you very much. You were a great help.
Greg SF,CA,USA
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Hognac

Post by Archived Reply » Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:53 pm

Greg, If you’re still there. After Leif’s suggestion, I was able to locate the expression in two slang dictionaries and will give those definitions to compliment what the standard dictionaries(OED and Webster’s had to say). Should have caught this one since my father (born in the U.S.) as well as his six sisters and my grandparents who were born in Hungary all speak the language, although, unfortunately, I don’t.

Cassell’s Dictionary of Slang

HONYOCK/HONYOCKER noun [20th century] (U.S.) 1) rustic, peasant. 2) an ignorant, inexperienced or unsophisticated person. [variation on ‘hunyak]

HUNYAK noun 1) [20th century] an immigrant from central or eastern Europe, e.g. a Hungarian or Pole (cf. ‘bohunk’; ‘hunk’; ‘hunky’). 2) [20th century] an ignorant, inexperienced or unsophisticated person, a low-class person (cf. ‘honyock’). 3) [1920s and still in use] (U.S.) a yokel, country man or lout [? HUN(garian) + (Pol)ACK]

The only thing that ‘Random House Historical Dictionary of Slang’ adds is that it is a Midwestern U.S. expression and that it is said of immigrants from Central or Southern Europe, usually a Magyar or Slavic—also used attributively—used contemptuously.<1907-1910 In ‘Reports of Immigration Comm.’ by Dillingham, p.255: “Magyar...Hungarian, Hun, or Hunyak in popular language.”>

Ken G – November 13, 2003

Reply from Ken Greenwald (Fort Collins, CO - U.S.A.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC