Hit the Books

This formerly read-only archive of threads dates back to 1996, but as of March 2007 is open to new postings. For technical reasons, the early dates shown do not accurately reflect the actual date of posting.

Feel free to add new postings to any of the existing threads in the archived forums, but please create any new language-related threads in one of the Language Discussion Forums.

Hit the Books

Post by Archived Topic » Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:51 am

What is the origin of "Hit the Books"?! It know it's an idiom and everything and I must've searched six million sites!! I can't find anything about that particular idiom that has to do with it's origin! Please help me out on this, it's part of my grade!

Name: Sarah
State: Oregon
Submitted by ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Topic imported and archived

Hit the Books

Post by Archived Reply » Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:05 am

Sarah: As you mature, you may find it useful to learn to think for yourself and try to keep something in the back of your mind that says, "Have I thought about what the possibilities are?" Now, if you think this means beat books
with a big stick, prepare yourself to either find a sugar
daddy or get a Mcjob. There is an idea called " self
evident" because I think you already know what it means and tell your teacher he/she is an idiot for assigning this phrase.
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Reply imported and archived

Hit the Books

Post by Archived Reply » Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:20 am

Sarah,

You fulfilled all the requirements (named your query correction, put your name and location), so I think you deserve help. Unfortunately, I don't have anything to tell you. You can get the definition in Merriam-Webster's online dictionary (look up "hit"), and you can deduce from on of the definitions of "hit" how the expression "hit the books" came about, but you'll probably need to get your hands on a dictionary of phrase origins or an Oxford English Dictionary to find out just when the expression first came into use and where. You may have to leave the cyberworld and go to a real library to check some of these resources. Good luck!

Lois Martin, Birmingham, Alabama, November 12, 2003
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Hit the Books

Post by Archived Reply » Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:34 am

Sorry--that should read "named your query correctly" and "from one of the definitions."

Lois
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Hit the Books

Post by Archived Reply » Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:49 am

hit the books? try "bible-thumping"
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Hit the Books

Post by Archived Reply » Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:03 am

Hitting the books sounds like a sensible exercise, but I wouldn't advise trying to beat the bookies.
EA
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Hit the Books

Post by Archived Reply » Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:17 am

Sarah,
That is also my problem... I can't help you... Maybe, you're the one who can help me... Please give me idiomatic expressions with their etymologies... Thank you...

- a friend?

Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC