cucumbers

This formerly read-only archive of threads dates back to 1996, but as of March 2007 is open to new postings. For technical reasons, the early dates shown do not accurately reflect the actual date of posting.

Feel free to add new postings to any of the existing threads in the archived forums, but please create any new language-related threads in one of the Language Discussion Forums.

cucumbers

Post by Archived Topic » Mon Oct 11, 2004 2:10 pm

Cool as a cucumber??? Where did this derive from??? Just curious

Michelle, Rhode Island USA
Submitted by ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Topic imported and archived

cucumbers

Post by Archived Reply » Mon Oct 11, 2004 2:25 pm

Michelle .. my spin would be that it has a culinary background .. it has long been recognised that when eating a spicy curry, rather than drinking water to cool the mouth, a cool cucumber raita does the job .. if your mouth gets really spicy hot, sucking on a slice of cucumber will bring relief ..
Wizard of Oz, Australia. 07/11/03
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Reply imported and archived

cucumbers

Post by Archived Reply » Mon Oct 11, 2004 2:39 pm

Never tried a sliced cucumber but having a slice of bread or a bun also works well. I know it sounds like it will be some thing difficult to swallow when your mouth is hot but it does work.
Ahmed
BC Canada
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

cucumbers

Post by Archived Reply » Mon Oct 11, 2004 2:53 pm

Michelle, What Wiz says about cucumbers having a cooling quality on ones mouth when eating a spicy dish is said to be true (I’ll have to give Ahmed’s bread a try). In fact in ‘Picturesque Expressions’ by Urdang they also say “Cucumbers have long been used in salads and relishes for their refreshing, cooling quality.” And its not all just our imagination as we see from the following:

Facts on File Encyclopedia of Word and Phrase Origins

COOL AS A CUCUMBER: It took scientists with thermometers until 1970 to find out what has been folk knowledge for centuries—that cucumbers are indeed cool, so much so that the inside of a field cucumber on a warm day registers about 20 degrees cooler than the outside air. The belief is ancient, but was first put on paper by Francis Beaumont and John Fletcher in their play ‘Cupid’s Revenge’ ( 1610), when they referred to certain women [young maids] “as cold as cucumbers.”

Facts on File Dictionary of Clichés

COOL AS A CUCUMBER: Perfectly composed, self-possessed. . . . . in 1732 John Gay, in a ‘New Song on New Similes,’ wrote, “I . . .cool as a cucumber could see the rest of womankind.” A more recent version with essentially the same meaning is ‘cool, calm, and collected, which likewise owes its popularity to its alliterative appeal.

Ken G – November 6, 2003

Reply from Ken Greenwald (Fort Collins, CO - U.S.A.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

cucumbers

Post by Archived Reply » Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:08 pm

You all have been terrific!!! This is the first time I have posted to this site and it has been a great experience!! Thank you all for your insight!!

Michelle
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

cucumbers

Post by Archived Reply » Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:22 pm

Michelle: Wait till the flys discover this discussion, then you will see the dark side of this group. Hopefully this will be ameliorated in the near future when there will be membership requirements. Hopefully, those shall have the same effect on them as sunlight on vampires.

Leif, WA, USA
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

cucumbers

Post by Archived Reply » Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:37 pm

LOl, thank you Leif, I think I understand what you are telling me. I started reading other articles in the site and it can get real ugly out there!!!

Michelle, RI, USA
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC