Confetti is plural for "confetto"?

This formerly read-only archive of threads dates back to 1996, but as of March 2007 is open to new postings. For technical reasons, the early dates shown do not accurately reflect the actual date of posting.

Feel free to add new postings to any of the existing threads in the archived forums, but please create any new language-related threads in one of the Language Discussion Forums.

Post by Archived Topic » Sun Oct 10, 2004 2:53 pm

What's the singular of confetti? Anyone know?
Submitted by ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Topic imported and archived

Post by Archived Reply » Sun Oct 10, 2004 3:08 pm

Parsimonious in the extreme.
EA
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Reply imported and archived

Post by Archived Reply » Sun Oct 10, 2004 3:22 pm

So rare is such an extreme level of parsimony that the singular form, 'confetto', is hardly ever used.
You can check this yourself in M-W on-line dictionary for the etymology (look up confetti).
More interestingly, 'Irish confetti' is also defined. Here, logic would suggest that one brick is an 'Irish confetto', whilst several bricks would constitute 'Irish confetti'. On the other hand, you could argue that the purpose of Irish confetti is acomplished (if well aimed) by one brick only, thereby rendering multiplication superfluous, and perhaps justifying the use of the plural term for one object?
Simple Simon - Belgium
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Sun Oct 10, 2004 3:37 pm

You're right - I can't tell a rectory from a parsonage these days. I assume your withheld name is Elbow?
Edwin Ashworth
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Sun Oct 10, 2004 3:51 pm

Simon
Could it be that the Irish are just helping the newlyweds build a new life together? (I don't think I've ever asked an Irish Question before - I'll understand if it's insoluble.)
Edwin Ashworth
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Sun Oct 10, 2004 4:05 pm

.. for me the most interesting point about "confetti" is that it is a plural noun that is used with a singular verb .. we would raise eyebrows if we said, "Confetti are spread around at weddings." .. the usage note at "graffito" in The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition. 2000. I think is instructive in this case >>
"The word graffiti is a plural noun in Italian. In English graffiti is far more common than the singular form graffito and is mainly used as a singular noun in much the same way data is. When the reference is to a particular inscription (as in There was a bold graffiti on the wall), the form graffito would be etymologically correct but might strike some readers as pedantic outside an archaeological context. There is no substitute for the singular use of graffiti when the word is used as a mass noun to refer to inscriptions in general or to the related social phenomenon. The sentence Graffiti is a major problem for the Transit Authority Police cannot be reworded Graffito is … (since graffito can refer only to a particular inscription) or Graffiti are … (which suggests that the police problem involves only the physical marks and not the larger issue of vandalism). In such contexts, the use of graffiti as a singular is justified by both utility and widespread precedent."
.. I have also heard Italian ice cream variably referred to as both "gelato" and "gelati" without thought as to whether it is being used in the singular, /o/, or the plural, /i/ .. so now I wonder why we don't have "ghetti" and if when I go to buy more than one Cornetto ice cream should I ask for 2 Cornetti .. and if I wind one string of spaghetti around my fork am I eating spaghetto ?? .. *sigh* .. why is nothing easy ..
Wizard of Oz, Australia. 05/11/03.

Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Sun Oct 10, 2004 4:20 pm

Dear Wiz
If you think THAT's hard, you should try eating it with chopsticks. Mind you, I've always admired all you Aussies who can eat upside-down.
Returning to the realms of relevancy, I think we've all just got to accept that society is becoming much more pluralistic.
:),Edwin Ashworth, Oldham (That's one word, not two)

PS If we let you win the Rugby, will you take Rolf Harris back?
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Sun Oct 10, 2004 4:34 pm

Very easy! The singular of confetti is confetto! Has anyone tried to eat it?
Roberta Staccioli, Italia
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Sun Oct 10, 2004 4:49 pm

Yesterday, I shot a yeto in my pyjamae.
Captain Jeffrey P Spalding
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Sun Oct 10, 2004 5:03 pm

But,you don't tell us what the Yeto was doing in your pyjamae in the first place?
Spoilsport.
Simple Simon
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Sun Oct 10, 2004 5:17 pm

Something abominable.
Major Jeffrey Z Spalding
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Sun Oct 10, 2004 5:32 pm

Edwin, if you let us win the Rugby we will definitely take Kylie Minogue back .. *smile* .. will negotiate on Clive James ...... but Rolf ??? .... decisions decisions .. but then again you don't have to "let" us do anything when it comes to winning the Rugby World Cup .. Bill belongs Downunder !!!
WoZ of Aus. 06/11/03
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Sun Oct 10, 2004 5:46 pm

Huh. Sussed. Anyway, please keep sending the superb natural history programmes Upover. We'll keep sending the convicts. By the way, is Bush Tucker Man George W's food-taster? He could double for Gandalf in that hat.
Bye, WoZ, it's bonfire night here and they told me they've saved me a special place.
Edwin
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC