Propitiation

This formerly read-only archive of threads dates back to 1996, but as of March 2007 is open to new postings. For technical reasons, the early dates shown do not accurately reflect the actual date of posting.

Feel free to add new postings to any of the existing threads in the archived forums, but please create any new language-related threads in one of the Language Discussion Forums.

Propitiation

Post by Archived Topic » Sat Oct 09, 2004 12:58 am

I am familiar with the meaning and definition of this word and have followed all instructions of researching it first. However, in all the research I could not find an etymology for this particular word. It appears to have come into the lexicon somewhere around the 14th century. The Greek equivalent is 'hilasterion', but it is not listed as an etymology for the word but rather as a translation.

I am just curious as to its origin. Does it have roots in Latin?

Sam - 31/10/03
Submitted by ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Topic imported and archived

Propitiation

Post by Archived Reply » Sat Oct 09, 2004 1:13 am

Sam, It’s interesting. I would have thought that ‘propitiation’ derived from the verb ‘propitiate,’ but it appears that it was probably the other way around and that ‘propitiate’ is a back formation from ‘propitiation.’ The Barnhart Concise Dictionary of Etymology has ‘propitiation’ as first appearing in print in 1395 (late Middle English) and ‘propitiate’ in 1583.

PROPITIATION, the act of placating, making favorably inclined, appeasing, comes from the late ecclesiastical Latin ‘propitiationem’ (nominative ‘propitiatio’), an atonement, which derives from Latin ‘propitat-’ past participle stem of ‘propitiare,’ render favorable, from ‘propitus’ favorable, gracious.

(New Shorter OED, Barnhart Concise Dictionary of Etymology)

Ken G – October 31, 2003

Reply from Ken Greenwald (Fort Collins, CO - U.S.A.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Reply imported and archived

Propitiation

Post by Archived Reply » Sat Oct 09, 2004 1:27 am

It's interesting that many Christian theologians differentiate between the concepts involved in atonement - an almost technical,dispassionate, legal forgiving of man's wrongdoings - and propitiation, giving God grounds to overwrite his perfect hatred of the sinner with love for the sinner. E A
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Propitiation

Post by Archived Reply » Sat Oct 09, 2004 1:41 am

Thank you Ken. I appreciate it.

Sam 02/11/03
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC