man with a paper asshole

This formerly read-only archive of threads dates back to 1996, but as of March 2007 is open to new postings. For technical reasons, the early dates shown do not accurately reflect the actual date of posting.

Feel free to add new postings to any of the existing threads in the archived forums, but please create any new language-related threads in one of the Language Discussion Forums.

man with a paper asshole

Post by Archived Topic » Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:10 pm

Mort, Sorry your posting got erased. This is one of those nasty sounding expressions, which might have been inadvertently expunged because it was not realized that it is actually a bona fide slang phrase.

As I recall you said that “you sound like a man with a paper asshole” was an expression that your father used and you didn’t quite know what it meant but felt that it carried an implication of effeminacy.

According to the sources below it doesn’t look like effeminacy had anything to do with it. A sampling of Google hits seems to indicate that it means ‘someone who talks a lot when they don’t know what they are talking about.’ This is not quite in agreement with the dictionary definitions below, but seems like a better fit for the Google hits I skimmed. And the colorful imagery may have resulted from the imagined noise of the wind they produced passing through the said paper aperture (see below). This expression was apparently widely used in the military.

Cassell’s Dictionary of Slang

MAN WITH A PAPER ASS/ASSHOLE: [1950s and still in use] (U.S. Black) A talkative fool – all talk and little or no action.

Chapman’s Dictionary of American Slang

MAN WITH A PAPER ASS noun phrase, black, by1970s: A person whose ideas are not important; a trivial man; = lightweight

The following Google quotes, I think, give a petty good picture of how the phrase is commonly used:

“To quote my stepfather ‘you talk like a man with a paper asshole’ meaning that you have no conception of the shit you are talking about.”

“Forgive me, but I think you’re speaking from ignorance, as you merely provide assertions and opinions without any apparent support. Translation: ‘You talk like a man with a paper asshole.’”

“You sound like a man with a paper asshole. Think of the resonance. A loud fart amplified by the paper passing through a paper asshole. Lots and lots of noise, much thunder, but no lightning!”

“Hmmm, you speak like a man with a paper asshole. You wouldn't know a good camera if it jumped up and bit you on the ass boy!”

The more Perkins speaks the more I find his ‘vast’ military background doubtful. When I served we had a saying that covered clowns like him. ‘You speak like a man with a paper asshole’”

Ken G – August 28, 2003
Submitted by Ken Greenwald (Fort Collins, CO - U.S.A.)
Post actions:
Signature: Topic imported and archived

man with a paper asshole

Post by Archived Reply » Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:39 pm

I'm a new member, so feel free to advise if we're not encouraged to speculate. I read this entry out of curiousity and the audible sound (fart) explantion did not make much sense. It seems both logicially and intuitively more sound that a paper asshole would be something pretty ineffectual in keeping your sh** from coming out. It would rip, or tear or just get water-logged and dissolve. Hence, to have a paper asshole would be to be ineffective at preventing unwanted matter from coming out or, to phrase it positively, would mean that lots of sh** comes out. Perhaps a corollary to having "diarrhea of the mouth"...?
Reply from Paula Atkinson (Arlington, VA - U.S.A.)
Post actions:
Signature: Reply imported and archived

man with a paper asshole

Post by Archived Reply » Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:53 pm

Paula, You may be right and your explanation seems just as valid as mine. I was kind of thinking in terms of kazoo.

Ken G – September 2, 2003
Reply from Ken Greenwald (Fort Collins, CO - U.S.A.)
Post actions:

man with a paper asshole

Post by Archived Reply » Fri Sep 24, 2004 3:08 pm

A man with a paper asshole wouldnt be much of a man, so then his opinion wouldnt matter much either. It is a derogatory statement to use when one feels small in a conversation.
Reply from ( - )
Post actions:

man with a paper asshole

Post by Archived Reply » Fri Sep 24, 2004 3:22 pm

I wish I had a paper asshole

T - UAE
Reply from ( - )
Post actions:

man with a paper asshole

Post by Archived Reply » Fri Sep 24, 2004 3:37 pm

O S says, "You sound like a man with a paper cup for an asshole!" Of course he's the filthiest bastard I've ever met in my life...
Reply from ( - )
Post actions:

man with a paper asshole

Post by Archived Reply » Fri Sep 24, 2004 3:51 pm

Thank you for this very informative page. My mother remembers my grandmother saying to my grandfather every so often that he talked like a man with a paper asshole, and my mother never knew what it meant. Now I know- the internet is great!
Reply from ( - )
Post actions:

man with a paper asshole

Post by Archived Reply » Fri Sep 24, 2004 4:05 pm

I have heard this expression for a couple of years and have wondered what moron thought it up. Thanks for explaining what it means and now that I know, I'll just use it on an occasion when my husband is being an a**
D
Reply from ( - )
Post actions:

Re: man with a paper asshole

Post by wl7bm » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:15 am

us children found that my mother was called a paper asshole by our father..WWII Vet.

definition: he was saying that our mother was not for real. she was lying to him.
Post actions:

End of topic.