Calf Rope

This formerly read-only archive of threads dates back to 1996, but as of March 2007 is open to new postings. For technical reasons, the early dates shown do not accurately reflect the actual date of posting.

Feel free to add new postings to any of the existing threads in the archived forums, but please create any new language-related threads in one of the Language Discussion Forums.

Calf Rope

Post by Archived Topic » Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:58 pm

What is the origin of the term "Calf Rope" meaning as I understand it "to give up" or "I've had enough"

Clarence from Texas
Submitted by ( - )
Post actions:
Signature: Topic imported and archived

Calf Rope

Post by Archived Reply » Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:13 pm

Clarence, The complete expression I found was ‘cry/call/holler/say/yell calf-rope.’ For those [me!] who are unfamiliar with it, it means pretty much the same thing as the familiar (at least to one who was brought up in N.Y.C) ‘cry uncle’ or just ‘uncle,’ or ‘I give’ (short for ‘I give up’), which was originally a schoolyard admission or cry of defeat – meaning to give up, surrender, say you’ve had enough.

Your expression is mainly used in the South Midland and Gulf states (all or part of 15 states) and dates back to the 1800s. The origin is uncertain, but I would guess that if a roped calf (hogtied calf?) could talk, it might cry, depending on where it was from, ‘I give,’ ‘uncle,’ or ‘calf rope.’ The origin, however, is listed ‘officially’ as ‘uncertain,’ meaning that there may be some guesses, but no one knows for sure.

There are dozens of quotes under ‘calf-rope’ in the following reference (I’ve only listed two), which you might be able to find in a public or college library:
____________________________________________________________________________________

Dictionary of American Regional English (Volume I):

CALF-ROPE, HOLLER verb phrase. Also ‘call/cry/say/yell calf-rope; also used as the exclamation ‘calf-rope.’ [origin uncertain] chiefly South Midland and Gulf States. Cf ‘uncle.’ Especially in children’s games: to give in, surrender, capitulate.

“Calf-rope—This is what you make the other fellow say if you want to stop and you’re winning; very humiliating to have to say this; I give.”

1878: “. . . . . was forced to ‘hollow [sic] calf-rope,’ that is, to signify by gestures that he was beaten.”
____________________________________________________________________________________

Ken G – March 11, 2003

Reply from Ken Greenwald (Fort Collins, CO - U.S.A.)
Post actions:
Signature: Reply imported and archived

Calf Rope

Post by Archived Reply » Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:27 pm

Post actions:

Calf Rope

Post by Archived Reply » Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:41 pm

calfrope, can be weaker, its easier to rope and hold a calf, to say calfrope is exactly the sames as to say uncle. Either way the person in 'control' has forced the 'loser' to admit defeat.
Reply from ( - )
Post actions:

End of topic.