copycat (revisited)

This formerly read-only archive of threads dates back to 1996, but as of March 2007 is open to new postings. For technical reasons, the early dates shown do not accurately reflect the actual date of posting.

Feel free to add new postings to any of the existing threads in the archived forums, but please create any new language-related threads in one of the Language Discussion Forums.

copycat (revisited)

Post by Archived Topic » Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:01 pm

This question was asked back in April 2002 (see copycat, posting # 2813). At the time all I could find was the dictionary definition and basically no etymology. The question was again raised during a discussion of another subject (‘L-7,’ #3571) a few postings back. I decided to give it another shot and still didn’t come up with that much, but did find a little more. Please feel free to add any further information.
_______________________________________________________________________________________

COPYCAT – Again found just about nothing in the way of etymology. The only thing I can say is that ‘cat’ has been used as a derogatory word since the time of Shakespeare (as opposed to ‘dog’ references which are only of 19th and 20th century vintage).

Shakespeare: In ‘All’s Well That Ends Well’ Act 4, Scene 3, Betram says ‘I could endure any thing before but a CAT, and now he’s a CAT to me.’ Later in the same scene he says, “For this description of thine honesty? A pox upon him for me, he’s no more than a CAT.”

Typical of the dictionary ‘copycat’ etymologies I checked was Random House: 1895–1900, America; COPY + CAT, And the New Shorter OED noun, adjective, verb (colloquial) – not much!

Guess it could have just as well turned out to be ‘copydog,’ but for whatever reason, it didn’t. Cats, in my estimation, haven’t overall been particularly discriminated against (versus dogs). In fact, looks to me as though dogs got the short end of the stick. There is ‘catty’ behavior (spiteful, malicious), and (can’t think of much cat stuff either way at the moment – there are those ‘catastrophes. *G*). But there are also ‘cool cats’ and maybe the ‘cats meow.’ Dogwise, there are ‘lucky dogs,’ but there are also ‘dogs’ (as in worthless cur/despicable person, something of extremely poor quality/lemon, poor investment, a women of inferior looks/character, a slow-moving piece of merchandise, etc.), ‘sick as dog,’ ‘dog tired,’ “dog days,’ . . .

The oldest appearance of ‘copycat’ I could find was from 1890 ‘Country of Pointed Firs’ by Sarah Orne Jewett: “Yes,” said Mrs. Todd after a moment of meditation, “there was certain a good many curiosities of human natur' in this neighborhood years ago. There was more energy then, and in some the energy took a singular turn. In these days the young folks is all COPY-CATS, 'fraid to death they won't be all just alike; as for the old folks, they pray for the advantage o' bein' a little different."
__________________________________________________________________________________

Ken G (Fort Collins, CO, USA) – November 23, 2002

Submitted by Ken Greenwald (Fort Collins, CO - U.S.A.)
Post actions:
Signature: Topic imported and archived

End of topic.