A stitch in time saves nine

This formerly read-only archive of threads dates back to 1996, but as of March 2007 is open to new postings. For technical reasons, the early dates shown do not accurately reflect the actual date of posting.

Feel free to add new postings to any of the existing threads in the archived forums, but please create any new language-related threads in one of the Language Discussion Forums.

A stitch in time saves nine

Post by Archived Topic » Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:29 pm

This question was submitted by some no-name person in the previous posting on a just about virtually (~ 99.7 %) unrelated topic. I’m posting my response here so that it is locatable for future reference:

I’d say this phrase is not Albert Einstein or Stephen Hawking philosophizing on time warps, but is just a very old metaphorical proverb – one of those sayings which can’t be ascribed to any one person in particular. It’s probably just the collective wisdom of mankind, which is what a lot of proverbs (aphorisms, homilies, etc.) are. It alludes to fixing a problem when you first see it so that you wont have to waste more time fixing it later when it gets worse – repair now, save later – one stitch now will save you nine later.

To make this kosher, though, I have to give what official etymology I could find (for what it’s worth – which ain’t much).

Random House Dictionary of America’s Popular Proverbs and Saying:

A stitch in time saves nine. If you deal with problems immediately, when they first appear, you will save yourself a lot of money and trouble after. This adage is listed in the 1732 Thomas Fuller's book of proverbs, and was first cited in the United States in the 1787 'Journal of Tour of North America in 1796-1791' by Francis Bally (1774-1844). The word 'nine' was introduced for assonance [[vowel rhyming]].

Ken G (Fort Collins, CO, USA) – 10/12/02

Submitted by Ken Greenwald (Fort Collins, CO - U.S.A.)
Post actions:
Signature: Topic imported and archived

End of topic.