numbnuts

This formerly read-only archive of threads dates back to 1996, but as of March 2007 is open to new postings. For technical reasons, the early dates shown do not accurately reflect the actual date of posting.

Feel free to add new postings to any of the existing threads in the archived forums, but please create any new language-related threads in one of the Language Discussion Forums.

numbnuts

Post by Archived Reply » Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:49 pm

This is the last half of the new logo for TNN, formerly The Nashville Network and now Totally Numb Nuts, the first cable network for men.
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Reply imported and archived

Re: numbnuts

Post by sparkuri » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:36 am

Since it seems to have been prevalent in the Marine Corps circa 1970'ish, I thought it might be referring to soldiers who fell asleep crossing vietnam on their flights, or during posts etc.
In Apocalypse Now , soldiers sat on their helmets in the air infantry to keep their "nuts from being blown off" from below.
It could've been started by one guy who said "my nuts fell asleep" while being inattentive, his CO repeated it, and maybe it kept going, those that starred it died as it continued on.
Just an educated guess.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by trolley » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:34 pm

I suspect that you are overthinking this one. This insult is usually applied to mean that a person is stupid. It's not a far stretch from there to useless or totally ineffective. I think there's a connection to the inability to procreate (which some might consider a good thing)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Phil White » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:19 pm

I dread to think how you deal with contraception in your family, trolley.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by BonnieL » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:50 pm

Phil White wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:19 pm
I dread to think how you deal with contraception in your family, trolley.
Are you referring to Kurt Vonnegut's story? I think it was "Welcome to the Monkey House."
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Phil White » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:16 pm

I was thinking of something a little more ... well ... "hands on" ... or perhaps "foot on". But I prefer not to dwell on it.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC