Puzzled on this for YEARS!!

This formerly read-only archive of threads dates back to 1996, but as of March 2007 is open to new postings. For technical reasons, the early dates shown do not accurately reflect the actual date of posting.

Feel free to add new postings to any of the existing threads in the archived forums, but please create any new language-related threads in one of the Language Discussion Forums.

Post by Archived Topic » Fri Jun 11, 2004 2:53 am

Looking for the title of the text with the phrase, "Our small boat sailed along the rocky coast for ninety miles".

An eye doctor uses this particular passage to test far vision and after forty years of reading this, I wonder where it has come from. I could provide the rest of the paragraph if necessary. Thank you. D. Fowler
<dfowler01@snet.net>
Submitted by ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Topic imported and archived

Post by Archived Reply » Fri Jun 11, 2004 3:08 am

We will answer this only after you tell us the meaning of life.
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Reply imported and archived

Post by Archived Reply » Fri Jun 11, 2004 3:22 am

We all ready know the MOL. Please quote the entire paragraph.

Leif
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Fri Jun 11, 2004 3:37 am

But are we all ready for the MOL?
Reply from Erik Kowal ( - England)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Fri Jun 11, 2004 3:51 am

we'll answer that when we find out why the quick red fox keeps jumping over the lazy brown dog.

shay simmons, colfax (signing in from a strange computer in Jeff City, MO)
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:05 am

If your optician always uses the same card how does he know that your are reading it and not quoting from memory?
Reply from Melvyn Goodman (London - England)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:20 am

Fowler, if is this what you've been thinking about for years
go back to flipping burgers at Mcds.
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:34 am

I attempted to look this up for you. An easier route to the answer would be to ask the doctor. My guess would be he gets asked that all the time. I'm surprised in 40 years you never asked.
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:49 am

My eye doctor uses the same reading and I, too, want to know if it's from an actual story. I'm an English teacher and suspect it might be Hemingway, but I've not found it in any anthology. C'mon, someone must know from whence it came!

KSB (Johnson City, NY)
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:03 am

I was once told that it came from Dania's " Two Years Before the Mast". I'm an eye doc, and i have been using this passage for 25 years, and i'm still not sure where it came from. If anyone has Dania's book, please let us know.
Thank You.
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:17 am

Here's more of the text (I'm an eye doc too, and we're trying to find where this came from also!):

Our small boat sailed along the rocky coast for ninety miles. We saw many signs of life on the beach when we were able to get close enough but we were afraid to land for fear we would be set upon by the natives. The people of these islands were well known to us for their tortures to their victims and we did not wish to be caught by them. One day a war-canoe, full of natives, all painted in bright colors came out after us, and it took all of our combined efforts to outsail the savages.

Any ideas??
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:32 am

The author of "Two Years Before the Mast" is Dana, and this passage is not from that book (which is a great read, by the way).
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:46 am

I'm an eye doc and, yes that is why I am on this page, to arrive at this ultimate question's answer. One probably would have to ask the heirs of the late mathematician Julius Neumuller, the educator who devised the card,for the potential actual answer.
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Fri Jun 11, 2004 6:01 am

I have just returned from my Optometric Reunion Class in Philadelphia and would you believe that the source of this passage was a topic of intense discussion among those of us at a Sunday brunch (what else do us eye doc's have to talk about?)? So, even your eye doctor is not sure of the source of this reading. We were always told it was from Hemmingway, so to me, this is like finding out that Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy aren't who/what you really thought they were(which, of course, relates back to the meaning of life question). (PJC Rochester, NY)
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Puzzled on this for YEARS!!

Post by DaveA » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:22 pm

This is from “Robinson Carouso”
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS