huckle

This formerly read-only archive of threads dates back to 1996, but as of March 2007 is open to new postings. For technical reasons, the early dates shown do not accurately reflect the actual date of posting.

Feel free to add new postings to any of the existing threads in the archived forums, but please create any new language-related threads in one of the Language Discussion Forums.

huckle

Post by Ken Greenwald » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:09 am

aaa
aaa
<2012 “‘He’s at some meeting,’ . . . ‘Huckling for a move.’ . . . ‘Seems there’s a vacancy at the top table [[an opening for a top management position]].”—Standing in Another Man’s Grave by Ian Rankin, page 72>
After a fairly extensive search I found huckle defined in only one dictionary (that didn’t describe it as the anatomical hip or haunch), Cassell’s Dictionary of Slang. In addition to male homosexual, to chatter or gossip, Cassell’s offers:

HUCKLE verb (1950s and still in use): To be seized or arrested.

Which is the closest I found in a dictionary to the huckle, huckeled, and huckling in the quotes I’ve come up with below. As you will notice all of these quotes originate in Scotland, where the above quote is uttered.

See if you can come up with a decent definition(s) for their use in the following quotes from archived sources:
<1996 “But he was left speechless when Greek police huckled him off the Britannia plane and arrested him.”—Daily Record (Glasgow, Scotland)

<1998 “. . . huckle yer granny aff tae the bingo . . .”—Sunday Mail (Glasgow, Scotland), 23 August>

<1999 “ Masters in the art of huckling, the Sun accused Rangers PR John Greig of huckling Giovanni van Bronckhorst away from a post-match interview in case he said something out of the blue that might annoy Celtic.”—The Sunday Herald (Glasgow, Scotland), 8 April>

<2000 “So, huckling the bags and boxes that seem to yelp and groan with every move you make, you stumble down the stairs, reach the car, and stuff them into the boot.”—The Herald (Glasgow, Scotland), 15 May>

<2002 “We thought we had a patent on that, but our man MacMahon is huckling in on the act.”—The Scotsman (Edinburgh, Scotland, 14 May>

<2002 “The big man had a disaster in his first start for his new club - against his old one, Rangers - but here he was magnificent, huckling McFadden throughout.”—Sunday Herald (Glasgow, Scotland), 22 September>

<2003 “So on the eve of another winner-takes-all encounter the last thing that the referee and his officials will have wanted was the sort of honest but huckling words of Lennon, his snapping at the heels of the Rangers players just as effective when done verbally rather than physically.”—Scotland on Sunday (Edinburgh), 16 March>

<2003 “Inexplicably, the bouncers didn't see the funny side, promptly huckling everyone.”—The Herald (Glasgow, Scotland), 22 September>

<2004 “Jones was once a media dream, a communications graduate relishing exposure and looking as if she could eat the microphone and lens. Yet when she appeared at Gateshead little over a fortnight ago, the British promoting company colluded in huckling her from under the noses of the media, prompting complaints.”—The Herald (U.K.), 13 July>

2005 “A mercifully brief struggle ended with theatre staff huckling the attacker, leaving Andrew standing in the spotlight looking rather forlorn in a ripped shirt.”—The Herald (Glagow, Scotland, 11 August>

<2005 “Like so many other people, I think the Labour Party conference huckling out of 82-year-old Walter Wolfgang, who had to flee from Hitler's Germany in1937, was one of the most obscene things I've ever seen.”—Daily Record (Glasgow, Scotland), 4 October>

<2005 “For the good of our own Scottish economy, we're desperately trying to woo people to live here - while Blair's blackshirts are huckling folk out the back door. The Herald (Glasgow, Scotland), 18 October>

<2005 “ I don't see the British Transport Police huckling these idiots BEFORE they get on their trains to abuse and threaten innocent travellers.”—Daily Record (Glasgow, Scotland), 1 November>

<2010 “ The swan found itself huckled - or should that be duckled - into the back of a waiting police van.”— Daily Record (Glasgow, Scotland) .30 August>

<2015 “ Mounted police galloped across the sand while their colleagues huckled young boys into vans (six, we were breathlessly told later, had been charged with under-age drinking)."—Sunday Mail (Glasgow, Scotland), 12 July>
My guess is that the single word that covers the most situations is hustle:

AMERICAN HERITAGE DICTIONARY

HUSSLE verb

1) To move or act energetically and rapidly: <We hustled to get dinner ready on time.>

2) To push or force one’s way. [[jostle or shove]]

3)To act aggressively, especially in business dealings.

Anyone think of other definitions for huckle that would fit?

Ken G — December 9, 2015
Post actions:

Re: huckle

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:32 am

Ken Greenwald wrote:Anyone think of other definitions for huckle that would fit?
That's not berry easy.

Joking aside, I agree that the closest synonym in your citations seems to be 'hustle'. I suspect they are variant forms of the same basic word.
Post actions:

End of topic.