jazzed

This formerly read-only archive of threads dates back to 1996, but as of March 2007 is open to new postings. For technical reasons, the early dates shown do not accurately reflect the actual date of posting.

Feel free to add new postings to any of the existing threads in the archived forums, but please create any new language-related threads in one of the Language Discussion Forums.

jazzed

Post by Ken Greenwald » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:47 am

aaa
<2013 “I stood up and started pacing behind the table. I was feeling jazzed. The man in the hat was a mystery, and mysteries always played to the defense's side. Mysteries were question marks, which led to reasonable doubt.”—Gods of Guilt by Michael Connelly, page 56> [[Defense attorney speaking.]]
Can’t quite make this one out from the context, so off to the dictionaries.

JAZZED (often as JAZZED UP and JAZZED-UP) informal, adjective, U.S. and Canadian:

1) [1910s and still in use]: Excited, enthusiastic, thrilled, pleased, enlivened, inspired, ‘stoked’ (verb jazz = excite, thrill, . . . .) <I was jazzed to meet someone so famous.> <Those guys were jazzed and ready for the game.> <I am jazzed up and ready to face life.>

Bonus Definitions:

2) [1910s-1960s]: Intoxicated by liquor or drugs; high <Dave was a bit jazzed up, but not terribly. <Jill was jazzed out of her mind.>

3) [1930s-1940s and still in use]: a) Augmented, enhanced; with something added. b) Made more enticing (sometimes in a flashy, vulgar manner); ostentatious, showy. <The show was a jazzed-up version of the original.> [[The definition I am familiar with.]]

4) Forged or altered. <Better not try to cash a jazzed check at this bank.>

[[Etymology: One may speculate on musical (jazz) connections, but none were offered in the sources I checked.]]

(McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs, Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English, Cassell’s Dictionary of Slang, and Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary)

So, in the above 2013 quote, definition #1 fits nicely, now that I know what the word means.

The following quotes for definition #1 are from the Historical Dictionary of American Slang and archived sources:
<1918 “As a lady-killer, Mackintosh . . . gets the [girls] all jazzed up before they can get their second wind.”—The World’s Greatest Ship by F. O. Braynard, Vol. I, page 202>

<1947-1948 “We couldn’t get the results we do Around Here if we weren’t all jazzed up.”—Lucifer by J. H. Burns, page 63>

<1970 “I was just excited. Lord, I was so jazzed I think I wrote fourteen songs in the first week I was there.”—Country Music: White Man’s Blues by Grissim, page 228>

<1988 “Man, I’m really jazzed about my trip to the Ice Age!”—Day by Day (NBC-TV)

<1999 “If Dafoe is jazzed up these days, it's more because his team is making a steady habit of winning.”—Boston Herald (Massachusetts), 6 April>

<2006 “In fact, Edwards remembers as a boy being jazzed by ‘West Side Story,’ to which Robbins contributed his unforgettable choreography.”—Washington Post (D.C.), 20 October>

<2012 “It had become our convoy, and we had been attacked. I didn’t feel like an observer. I felt like I was part of it. I felt jazzed and tough.”—War Journal: My Five Years in Iraq by Richard Engel>

<2014 “If you love music, advertising and digital tech, you must be pretty jazzed this week. The highly anticipated South by Southwest (SXSW) Festival 2014 kicks of this Friday, featuring over 2000 musical acts, thousands of digital creatives and swarms of technology companies, set to descent upon laid-back Austin, Texas.”—adotas.com, 4 March>

Ken G – April 4, 2014
Post actions:

Re: jazzed

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:01 am

Sounds like something a saxophone rather than an anglophone might use.
Post actions:

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:11 am

Not to state the obvious, but surely it's the lingua franca of the gramophone.
Post actions:

Post by Ken Greenwald » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:46 pm

aaa
It can often be found in phonographic literature!

Ken – April 5, 2014
Post actions:

End of topic.