For crying out loud!

This formerly read-only archive of threads dates back to 1996, but as of March 2007 is open to new postings. For technical reasons, the early dates shown do not accurately reflect the actual date of posting.

Feel free to add new postings to any of the existing threads in the archived forums, but please create any new language-related threads in one of the Language Discussion Forums.

For crying out loud!

Post by Archived Topic » Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:41 pm

I'm trying to find out the origin of the phrase "for crying out loud!" Fearing the wrath of the word wizards, I searched through previous discussions, with no success. I'd greatly appreciate any help any of you could provide.
Submitted by ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Topic imported and archived

For crying out loud!

Post by Archived Reply » Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:56 pm

The Cassell Dic. of Slang lists this as a 1920s+ euphemism for "For Christ's sake!"

Er - whose wrath did you particularly fear? (I ask this in the spirit of this site maintaining a satisfactory service level of unnecessary vituperation and gratuitous intimidation during this time of curmudgeonly hiatus. I am sure you will understand the need for this :¬)
Reply from Erik Kowal (Reading - England)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Reply imported and archived

For crying out loud!

Post by Archived Reply » Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:10 pm

Erik, I love your signature:) face, how do you make it?I don't wish to steal it. I'm just curious.
Reply from christine Gilpatrick (New Windsor - U.S.A.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

For crying out loud!

Post by Archived Reply » Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:25 pm

That comes as standard on my UK keyboard, but it is available from Windows' Character Map Program (run Control Panel, Windows Setup, Accessories) in the character sets of the Arial and Times New Roman fonts (among others).

:¬)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

For crying out loud!

Post by Archived Reply » Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:39 pm

(When I said 'that', of course I was specifically referring to the '¬' character.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

For crying out loud!

Post by Archived Reply » Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:53 pm

This might clear things up:

“For crying out loud” is a “minced oath” or euphemism that stands in for “For Christ’s sake.” Although it may be older, this expression was first recorded in the United States in 1924, and has been attributed to cartoonist Thomas Aloysius Dorgan.

Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC