molly bolt

This formerly read-only archive of threads dates back to 1996, but as of March 2007 is open to new postings. For technical reasons, the early dates shown do not accurately reflect the actual date of posting.

Feel free to add new postings to any of the existing threads in the archived forums, but please create any new language-related threads in one of the Language Discussion Forums.

molly bolt

Post by Archived Topic » Fri Mar 19, 2004 2:56 pm

I'm looking for the origin of, "Molly bolt." It apparently has something to do with a pet name for "Mary," but how that got attached to a bolt is the question.
Submitted by ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Topic imported and archived

molly bolt

Post by Archived Reply » Fri Mar 19, 2004 3:10 pm

The only "molly bolt" that comes to mind is the "moly bolt", short for molybdenum bolt. Molybdenum is a silvery metallic element used to toughen alloy steels and soften tungsten alloy used for aircraft parts (and for other high stress applications).
Reply from Charles Becker (Murray KY - U.S.A.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Reply imported and archived

molly bolt

Post by Archived Reply » Fri Mar 19, 2004 3:25 pm

I am the co-host of a weekly radio program about home repair in the mountains of Colorado, and we have been looking diligently for the inventor of the Molly bolt for more than a year. We have heard about the molybdenum suggestion, probably because the world's largest molybdenum is just 20 miles from here. We doubt that story, though, because there are no reports of any Molly bolts being made out of that metal.

We have called bolt companies, hardware experts, and three women named Molly. We have come up empty!

Help!

Jay Bauer, HalfWay Handy Show
KYSL Radio, Frisco Colorado
http://www.HalfWayHandy.com
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Reply imported and archived

Re: molly bolt

Post by indianbro » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:39 pm

Molly bolt has nothing to do with “molybdenum,” which is one of the elements added to steel to make various alloys.

The inventor, who patented the Molly Bolt, named it Molly Bolt. I don’t know why. I do know most Molly bolts are made from plain carbon steel not “alloy” steel.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by BonnieL » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:46 pm

The inventor was George Frederick Croessant. I wondered if he named it after his wife or a child. His wife's name was Mary, so perhaps her nickname was Molly?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by trolley » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:52 pm

I wasn't expecting a Croessant role in this story.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC