toerag

This formerly read-only archive of threads dates back to 1996, but as of March 2007 is open to new postings. For technical reasons, the early dates shown do not accurately reflect the actual date of posting.

Feel free to add new postings to any of the existing threads in the archived forums, but please create any new language-related threads in one of the Language Discussion Forums.

toerag

Post by Archived Reply » Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:27 am

I don't know how you all got so many replies in - I've been trying for days and couldn't get access. Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions. Erik, you had me in pleats (def please??) That is exactly what I did - gave it to them for homework in the name of research *VBG*. This teaching lark is great, yes? Sadly, Meirav is also correct - teachers, of whatever nationality, are struggling to keep any form of credibility these days. But who needs to be serious - on with the jokes!!! Thanks again, Caroline.
Reply from ( - )
Post actions:
Signature: Reply imported and archived

Re: toerag

Post by theMoogler » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:08 pm

I find it worrying the number of teachers who have missed the mark completely in this thread.

What is wrong with the answer "I do not know"?

By all means make it a homework assignment, surely identifying a gap in your knowledge, then attempting to plug that gap through research is fundamental to education.

Admission that you do not know something will make you appear much less stupid in the long run.
Post actions:

Post by christinecornwall » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:35 pm

I couldn't agree with Moogler any more! Voltaire supports this notion eloquently with: “He must be very ignorant for he answers every question he is asked”Of course, I'd probably be more inclined to admit my ignorance and move on, unless it really piqued my interest. I was curious about the occupation (or preoccupation) of one who moogles and came up with this?

Moogles (モーグリ, Mōguri) are a recurring race in the Final Fantasy series. The name Moogle (or Moguri in Japanese, Spanish and Italian) is a portmanteau of the Japanese words for mole (mogura) and bat (komori). They first appeared in Final Fantasy III, and have appeared in some capacity in every main series game since, with the exception of Final Fantasy IV. The importance of Moogles to the plot varies from game to game, ranging from playable characters to simple cameos. Several, such as Mog, Stiltzkin, Artemicion and Montblanc, have made repeated appearances. Although their appearance has changed throughout games, they can easily be recognized by the small wings, usually pink or white fur and a pom-pom hanging from their heads. Moogles are generally mild tempered and like to eat vines and fictional Kupo Nuts.

Am I right? Of course I am unclear about 'Final Fantasy III' but will assume it is a video game and leave it at that.
Post actions:

Post by dante » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:39 pm

So I will appear less stupid in the long run if I say "I don't know"? theMoogler,I owe you man!
Post actions:

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:11 am

.. but Moogler surely the definitive statement on this situation is that defining moment in American history when the following was made public ..
The message is that there are known "knowns." There are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know. So when we do the best we can and we pull all this information together, and we then say well that's basically what we see as the situation, that is really only the known knowns and the known unknowns. And each year, we discover a few more of those unknown unknowns.
.. now quoting that to any kid will leave them grasping for reality .. and oxygen ..

WoZ who knows he doesn't know
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

End of topic.