Poplollies and Bellibones

This formerly read-only archive of threads dates back to 1996, but as of March 2007 is open to new postings. For technical reasons, the early dates shown do not accurately reflect the actual date of posting.

Feel free to add new postings to any of the existing threads in the archived forums, but please create any new language-related threads in one of the Language Discussion Forums.

Post by Archived Reply » Mon Feb 09, 2004 6:46 am

A good question Sidney, and one that will gnaw at me for many a long, sleepless night. Just be hopeful that you never develop Sesquipedalophobia.
Reply from Doug Gilbert (Chai Yi - Taiwan)
Post actions:
Signature: Reply imported and archived

Post by Archived Reply » Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:01 am

In going through this list I am amazed that no one has entered anything about "bellibones", a perfectly good, but archaic word. According to Peter Bowler in his small but interesting book, The Superior Person's Book of Words:
BELLIBONE; n. Believe it or not, "a woman excelling both in beauty and goodness" (Dr. Johnson's Dictionary). One of a few words that the author has taken the liberty of disinterring from the past (even Johnson refers to it as "not in present use") because of their obvious potentialities in polite discourse.
Poplollies is a variant of lollipop, the hard candy on a stick.

Reply from Charles Becker (Murray KY - U.S.A.)
Post actions:

Post by Archived Reply » Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:15 am

Thanks Charlie for this most useful word. Now I know what to call myself. *G*
Reply from Meirav Barkan (London - England)
Post actions:

Re: Poplollies and Bellibones

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:25 am

I would hazard a guess (and it's no more than that) that 'bellibone' is a corruption of the French 'belle et bonne' (meaning 'beautiful and good' in relation to someone or something having a grammatically feminine gender).
Post actions:
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

End of topic.