one word for cure worse than disease

This formerly read-only archive of threads dates back to 1996, but as of March 2007 is open to new postings. For technical reasons, the early dates shown do not accurately reflect the actual date of posting.

Feel free to add new postings to any of the existing threads in the archived forums, but please create any new language-related threads in one of the Language Discussion Forums.

Post by Archived Topic » Tue Jan 20, 2004 3:39 am

I am looking for a word (English or Latin)which means
the cure is worse than the disease.

Submitted by LEE HAWORTH (sarasota - U.S.A.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Topic imported and archived

Post by Archived Reply » Tue Jan 20, 2004 3:53 am

In Britain, we were accustomed to allude to this phenomenenon as a 'maggiethatcher' for many years.
Reply from Erik Kowal (Reading - England)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Reply imported and archived

Post by Archived Reply » Tue Jan 20, 2004 4:08 am

Off the top of my head, I would think that "Iatropic" or "Iatropism" would come close to fitting your criterion.
Reply from Dave Beckwith (Charlotte - U.S.A.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Tue Jan 20, 2004 4:22 am

If any terms for this concept really do exist, I don’t know of them. But you could do worse than resort to these impressively learned-sounding neologisms which actually comprise the elements "bad + doctor(ing) + doing/making":

Greek root: Kakiat'rogen (n.), kakiatrogen'ic (adj.)

Latin root: No'cimedicinofa'cient (n. & adj.)

The apostrophes are included in order to mark the stressed syllables, which immediately precede the apostrophes.

These expressions still don’t quite convey the sense of the cure being worse than the disease. Unfortunately I think it would be extremely hard, not to say impossible, to neologise such a complex idea in its entirety and still end up with a usably brief single word. So for the time being, a ‘maggiethatcher’ may still be the best shorthand term available. (Beware, this too is a neologism!)

Reply from Erik Kowal (Reading - England)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: one word for cure worse than disease

Post by The Old Professor » Fri May 18, 2018 12:42 pm

The word you are looking for is iatrogenic. One example of an iatrogenic disease can be found in the book Inventing the Aids Virus by Peter Duesberg, pp 11-23. Duesberg describes how the drug clioquinol which was used to treat SMON was toxic rather than remedial.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: one word for cure worse than disease

Post by tony h » Fri May 18, 2018 5:20 pm

An interesting word that I had not heard before.

Welcome The Old Professor. As a matter of interest what do you profess? :)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC