cell / mobile

This formerly read-only archive of threads dates back to 1996, but as of March 2007 is open to new postings. For technical reasons, the early dates shown do not accurately reflect the actual date of posting.

Feel free to add new postings to any of the existing threads in the archived forums, but please create any new language-related threads in one of the Language Discussion Forums.

cell / mobile

Post by Archived Reply » Tue Jan 01, 2002 12:32 am

Evidently the Lamborghini method of levitation is more effective than meditation, albeit not as cheap.
Reply from Erik Kowal ( - England)
Post actions:
Signature: Reply imported and archived

cell / mobile

Post by Archived Reply » Tue Jan 01, 2002 12:46 am

Hans,apology accepted. I believe the Turks pronounce and write the name as Ahmet.My Grandmother(German) calls me Achmed.
Ahmed

Reply from Ahmed ELNamer (Dawson Creek - Canada)
Post actions:

cell / mobile

Post by Archived Reply » Tue Jan 01, 2002 1:01 am

Ahmed, actually your Grandmother is right in that the 'h' in your name stands for an Arabic letter that is pronounced somewhere in the whole range between 'h' and a velar fricative sound that's written 'ch' in German and 'j' in Spanish, to name just two examples. Native English speakers have a hard time pronouncing that sound. That's why they say "Baha California," which hurts the ears of every Mexican.
Reply from Hans Joerg Rothenberger (Walenstadt - Switzerland)
Post actions:

cell / mobile

Post by Archived Reply » Tue Jan 01, 2002 1:15 am

Yes, in the Arabic (Arabich) language there are letters that are not easily pronounced. The 'h', in particular. For some Arabs learning English it is the 'P' and the 'b'. My English teacher had the best method for making the distinction between the 2 letters. He would have the pupil light a match and ask them to pronounce the 'b' and then the 'p'. Most often the flame is extinguished after the letter 'p' is mastered.
Ahmed
31st of May 2004

Reply from Ahmed ELNamer (Dawson Creek - Canada)
Post actions:

cell / mobile

Post by Archived Reply » Tue Jan 01, 2002 1:29 am

This is an old term, cellular radio --- see 3.)

Main Entry: cel·lu·lar
Pronunciation: 'sel-y&-l&r
Function: adjective
Etymology: New Latin cellularis, from cellula living cell, from Latin, diminutive of cella small room
1 : of, relating to, or consisting of cells
2 : containing cavities : having a porous texture <cellular rocks>
3 : of, relating to, or being a radiotelephone system in which a geographical area (as a city) is divided into small sections each served by a transmitter of limited range so that any available radio channel can be used in different parts of the area simultaneously
- cel·lu·lar·i·ty /"sel-y&-'lar-&-tE/ noun

Cellular Radio = mobile communications

A system which provides a simple, convenient means of communication for people who wish to keep in touch when travelling. The first mobile communication system was ship-borne radio, and there have since been widespread developments in the field of military communications. In modern times the term also refers to personal communication systems such as CB radio, radio paging, and car and pocket phones which use cellular radio.

Cellular radio employs local radio transmitters, covering small areas (cells), which receive and transmit calls in association with the telecommunications network. Direct-dial calls using special handsets can be made on foot, from cars and trains, and now from aircraft.

Ania

Reply from Ania Polak (Lublin - Poland)
Post actions:

cell / mobile

Post by Archived Reply » Tue Jan 01, 2002 1:44 am

Australian must be behind the times then....they are always 'mobiles' here. I guess that's because they are so 'mobile'? Functionality vs Technicality. Alas I must be one of the few who do not possess one.
Reply from Gillian Gardner (Melbourne - Australia)
Post actions:

End of topic.