Is this grammatically correct?

This formerly read-only archive of threads dates back to 1996, but as of March 2007 is open to new postings. For technical reasons, the early dates shown do not accurately reflect the actual date of posting.

Feel free to add new postings to any of the existing threads in the archived forums, but please create any new language-related threads in one of the Language Discussion Forums.

Post by Archived Topic » Sat Dec 29, 2001 7:01 pm

"There seems to be some problem with your workstation, as the link is working find at other places now. Anyway, I send you the link, which you can paste in your browser address bar and view the presentation."

I also don't find this construction strictly correct. Especially, the sentence "Anyway, I send you the link, which..." I believe is completely out of all grammatical order. I contested my stand on this to the author of the sentence and he wasn't ready to accept it. He's the one person who raised the objection to my using the phrase "stay on" with regard to a telephone extention.
Submitted by Sathyaish Chakravarthy (New Delhi - India)
Post actions:
Signature: Topic imported and archived

Post by Archived Reply » Sat Dec 29, 2001 7:15 pm

Sathyaish, I'm always delighted to interfere in a feud over trivia!

I would have written "Anyway, I am sending you the link, which you can paste into your browser address bar to view the presentation."

I'd probably also have written "...as the link is working fine now elsewhere."

Reply from Erik Kowal ( - England)
Post actions:
Signature: Reply imported and archived

Post by Archived Reply » Sat Dec 29, 2001 7:29 pm

Sathyaish,

The use of "as" in "as the link is working..." is not incorrect, but it isn't the best usage. The Handbook of Technical Writing, for example, writes that "As is the least definite connective to indicate cause; its use for that purpose is best avoided." The HTW recommends that you replace it with "because."

Lois, March 26, 2004
Reply from Lois Martin (Birmingham, AL - U.S.A.)
Post actions:

Post by Archived Reply » Sat Dec 29, 2001 7:44 pm

There seems to be some confusion here. Lois, it is exactly _because_ 'as' is the 'least definitive connective to indicate cause' that it _is_ appropriate to use it here.

The problem with the workstation is not the _result_ of the link working fine elsewhere (as your implied wording: "There seems to be some problem with your workstation, because the link is working fine now elsewhere" would suggest), but is _independent_ of the link working fine elsewhere.

In Sathyaish's sentence, 'as' does not mean 'because'. It means 'as is demonstrated by (the fact that)...'.
Reply from Erik Kowal ( - England)
Post actions:

End of topic.