Is this not too wordy?

This formerly read-only archive of threads dates back to 1996, but as of March 2007 is open to new postings. For technical reasons, the early dates shown do not accurately reflect the actual date of posting.

Feel free to add new postings to any of the existing threads in the archived forums, but please create any new language-related threads in one of the Language Discussion Forums.

Is this not too wordy?

Post by Archived Topic » Sat Dec 29, 2001 6:03 pm

Is this usage correct? I find it somewaht dressy and noticeably verbose.

"I invite you to attend this lecture and imbibe the insight of wisdom from our respected [XXX]."
Submitted by Sathyaish Chakravarthy (New Delhi - India)
Post actions:
Signature: Topic imported and archived

Is this not too wordy?

Post by Archived Reply » Sat Dec 29, 2001 6:17 pm

It is both grovellingly obsequious AND verbose, but - good taste and Uriah Heepishness aside - not incorrect.
Reply from Erik Kowal ( - England)
Post actions:
Signature: Reply imported and archived

Is this not too wordy?

Post by Archived Reply » Sat Dec 29, 2001 6:32 pm

Apart, I suppose from the employment of the mixed metaphor. One can imbibe a drink, but not an insight.

Which reminds me of a poorly conceived cliché that I've come across in certain works of fiction: "She drank in the view [from the balcony / yacht / mountain top / zenith of mediocrity]."
Reply from Erik Kowal ( - England)
Post actions:

Is this not too wordy?

Post by Archived Reply » Sat Dec 29, 2001 6:46 pm

im·bibe (ĭm-bîb')

v., -bibed, -bib·ing, -bibes.

v.tr.
To drink.
To absorb or take in as if by drinking: “The whole body . . . imbibes delight through every pore” (Henry David Thoreau).
To receive and absorb into the mind: “Gladstone had . . . imbibed a strong prejudice against Americans” (Philip Magnus).
Obsolete. To permeate; saturate.
v.intr.
To drink alcoholic beverages.

[Middle English embiben, to soak up, saturate, from Latin imbibere, to drink in, imbibe : in-, in; see in–2 + bibere, to drink.]

im·bib'er n.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition Copyright © 2003 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved

Reply from Leif Thorvaldson (Eatonville - U.S.A.)
Post actions:

End of topic.