Can you help me cut this dexcription in hafe for job descrip

This formerly read-only archive of threads dates back to 1996, but as of March 2007 is open to new postings. For technical reasons, the early dates shown do not accurately reflect the actual date of posting.

Feel free to add new postings to any of the existing threads in the archived forums, but please create any new language-related threads in one of the Language Discussion Forums.

Post by Archived Topic » Sat Dec 29, 2001 11:20 am

Paulina Farmer
United States
This sales rep. description of duties is too long but find it all inmportant can you help me shorten it with bulletts.

Sales representative, LA Cellar/AT&T Wireless, Cerritos, Calif. Feb. 1998 to September 1999
 Assisted new and existing customers with the purchase of wireless equipment and service.
 Provided customer assistance with local market promotions.
 Worked in a company call center with some outside sales.
 Financial Accountability – Sold cell phones, services and accessories at management approved pricing.
 Consistently achieved sales and customer service objectives.
 Handled administrative aspects of the sale including: completing customer contract, verified identification, ran credit, prepared customer files, addressed local market promotions, completed warranty paperwork, took customer payments and sent finished orders to proper department.
 Drove revenue by communicating the benefits of products, services, voice features, rate plans, and special offers to new and existing customers as appropriate Customer Experience.
 Resolved customer complaints or referred customer to supervisor or proper department for resolution.
 Provided information on products, accessories service features, pricing plans roaming and voice features.
 Interfaced with other departments on customer’s behalf when necessary.
 Focused on retaining customers by providing updated product and promotion
information.
 Work schedule and sometimes location would vary based on management needs.
 Schedule would include nights, weekends, and holidays.
 Successfully completed all sales and data training programs that are identified as core curriculum within the recommended periods
 Special Projects – Assisted in special projects assigned by supervisor or other duties as assigned by management.

Thank You.

Submitted by Pauline Farmer-Hannibal (Huntington Beach - U.S.A.)
Post actions:
Signature: Topic imported and archived

Post by Archived Reply » Sat Dec 29, 2001 11:34 am

Pauline: Are you preparing a CV to prepare for a specific job? Or is it to be a general CV? In either case, I would prepare a precis of all your work experience, or if was meant for a particular job, only precis the experience for that job. You can always attach a longer list to the precis for the employer to review if your precis has gotten his/her attention.
Reply from Leif Thorvaldson (Eatonville - U.S.A.)
Post actions:
Signature: Reply imported and archived

Post by Archived Reply » Sat Dec 29, 2001 11:49 am

And on another note, did you really work for "LA Cellar" or was it "LA Cellular?"

Lois, 3/5/2004
Reply from Lois Martin (Birmingham, AL - U.S.A.)
Post actions:

Post by Archived Reply » Sat Dec 29, 2001 12:03 pm

I have a friend who recently got a job at a call center for a wireless company (which shall remain nameless but which rhymes with "Ringular Fireless"!). Based on his description of his work, I can shorten your job description to one sentence: "Listened to idiots complain about having $3,000 phone bills because they were too stupid to keep track of their minutes." How's that for short, sweet, and to the point? *G*
Reply from K. Allen Griffy (Springfield, IL - U.S.A.)
Post actions:

Post by Archived Reply » Sat Dec 29, 2001 12:17 pm

Thank you for your input Leif. That is not what I really asked for but yes you are correct I could do that. I don't know what a CV is.
Lois thanks for bringing it to my attention that cellular was spelled wrong.
Griffy, how would that work for you if you were seriously seeking a job. Keep nonsense to yourself. Thanks
Reply from Pauline Farmer-Hannibal (Huntington Beach - U.S.A.)
Post actions:

Post by Archived Reply » Sat Dec 29, 2001 12:32 pm

CV stands for 'Curriculum Vitae' (a Latin phrase which literally means '[the] course of [one's] life'). In Britain, this is the normal term for what Americans usually call a résumé.
Reply from Erik Kowal ( - England)
Post actions:

Post by Archived Reply » Sat Dec 29, 2001 12:46 pm

I didn't want to take the time to round up a couple of them thar fancy "é" characters, so I used CV. Needless to say, after this experience, I will resume using resume in the future. *G*

Reply from Leif Thorvaldson (Eatonville - U.S.A.)
Post actions:

Post by Archived Reply » Sat Dec 29, 2001 1:01 pm

Both are somehow wrong:
CV implies that also the furure track is clear which is only true for the finishing line.
Résumé implies that it is already time to look back and be satisfied. Wrong attitude for an applicant (and also résumér is a bit different from to resume..)
Reply from Jan Saudek (Marbach - Germany)
Post actions:

Post by Archived Reply » Sat Dec 29, 2001 1:15 pm

So what do you suggest as an alternative (ignoring the fact that CV and résumé are both standard terms)?
Reply from Erik Kowal ( - England)
Post actions:

Post by Archived Reply » Sat Dec 29, 2001 1:29 pm

(standards are evolving, in some areas nowadays quicker than the perception of the public)

Good question, no definitive answer...just brainstorming

"personal sketch"
"self representation" (may not be applicable to everyone, because usually testimonals are written by an emplyoer ;-)

Go ahead!

But perhaps I have to clarify sth: here in Germany the situation is quite complicated:
on the one hand a testimonial has to be honest; every fact should be verifiable
on the other hand the testimonial shoulld not hinder the future career of the leaving employee.

This has led to some kind of "special code" in testimonials.

E.g. "he should great social abilities" simply means "heavy drinker"

or: "He fulfilled all the task to our satisfaction" isn´t an A, it´s a D minus.

An A would be: "He fulfilled all the task under all circumstances, even under high pressure, at any time more than we had expected"

and so on..

Getting slight OT :-)
I was always amused that US-englishmen (is that PC?) choosed "Résumé" instead of CV...they hate French, they d´nt like foreign languages...but apparently accents.
Reply from Jan Saudek (Marbach - Germany)
Post actions:

Post by Archived Reply » Sat Dec 29, 2001 1:44 pm

It has been my experience that a CV is used to document past and present work experience as well as publications and presentations. CVs are usually submitted for academic or clinical positions. Resumes are usually submitted for all other employment positions. Best wishes, as I realize both CVs and Resumes are sometimes difficult to write!
Reply from Denise Mrs (downers grove - U.S.A.)
Post actions:

End of topic.